A few questions about SQ build.

97chameleonbird
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
I really hesitate to post here because I don't want to be annoying and ask the same questions but I figured now that I gathered some thought to it I would ask for some suggestions.

I am looking for a 3-way component set for up front and can't seem to figure out what brand of speaker to get. I have been looking at Hertz, Rainbow, Diamond, Focal, Cadence etc. All within the 3-700 range. I know you get what you pay for thats why I keep raising the price I want to pay on them. Is this true or should I only be looking to spend 3-400 or less? I really want sq but want it to get loud enough for me to enjoy it. As for the amp I like Sundown but heard Audison has real nice sound quality and saw a couple of their amps on ebay for like 300ish. I haven't looked at amps too much because I don't even know what kind of power I need for my comps yet.

My sub-stage I have pretty much figured out. 10" Fi Q in a sealed box with an Audioque 1200d. Any suggestions with that I am open to as well. I liked the sundown saz amp but it seems like I can get the same performance from the AQ for less money.

Another question I was having was my rear 6x9's. I figured to save money and put it towards my front comps and just not get any rears. Is this a good idea? I know a lot of you guys like that but is it good for sq, and will the sub make up for it to fill out the sound? If I do end up not using rear speakers should I remove them to act as a sort of port for the car to the trunk or leave them in (or does that just make no sense at all and doesnt matter lol).

And, to cram it all in one thread, battery and alt. The stock alternator is 135. I was thinking of an optima yellowtop to handle the entire car and audio (because I don't want two batteries) and running the stock alternator for the sub until I get the new speakers and amp for the front (and then I have someone that can rebuilt the alternator to output more amperage). Any suggestion on what size to build the alternator to? I'm not sure what its limit is going to be.

Thanks for the help, I will refine what I wrote if its confusing when I go over it when I get home from work.

The lengths that you would have to go to in order to hear the differences between the Sundown and the Audison amps would be genuinely budget crushing. Don't worry about that at all.

The reason that people recommend only running fronts is again, the effort required to get actual quality sound from multiple speakers in various locations playing the exact same signal is not budget friendly. Don't bother with rear speakers and remove the ones that are there.

Yea, I wasn't going to replace the rears but was wondering if physically removing them from the rear deck would be any better than leaving them in and just disconnecting them (apparently its a big process to take them out, but I'll do it for the sq'z).

I guess what I'm trying to really figure out is what type of 'stats' am I looking for in an sq speaker. All I really understand is the size, rms power, and impedance lol. Is there a certain frequency I should be looking for to match with the Fi Q or something?

I am going 3-way because my doors came stock with 3-ways. I always heard good things about the fi-q and heard a couple in a sealed box and they were nice and loud but clean as well, and its also their sq line and thats what I want. I was also thinking of the sundown or aq subs but most of my research has been going to the comps right now. Maybe I should re-research the sub, if you have any other ideas I will gladly consider them.

I listen to everything, mostly alternative/hardcore metal. I also LOVE deadmau5 so I'm not just stuck on one type. No country, classical or goth metal though...

I will be doing the install myself, I am going to start by installing the sub and battery and removing the rear speakers. After I save I will be going with the comps up front and possibly replacing the deck and hopefully upgrading my alternator a bit. It is going to be a pretty stock style install. Just going to place the speakers in the original spot, small sealed enclosure in the trunk. I think I really like the Hertz Hi Energy 3-way set, but I am planning on stopping by a local place that carries them to check it out first.

Here is a picture of the same style door I have. How do you guys think this is for imaging. I may be willing to make a fiberglass tweet mount in the a-pillar or maybe right in the corner of where the pillar meets the window since there is already a spot there:

2006PontiacG6GTPCoupeDoorTrim01.jpg

I'd run tweets and midranges in the pilars if you have the room. The door is going to be pretty off axis, and more importantly, different degrees off-axis comparing the left and right sides, which will affect how the response curve is on each side. Getting them to point equally off-axis, in reference to you, is critical to keep the stage centered.

What size mid can you fit in that door? 6.5" maybe?

Yea, I believe it's a 6.5. All the other non 3-way systems are 6.5's. By the looks of it I think it's 6.5, 3, 1. The problem I'm having with putting new mounting locations is the fact that I will still have the 2 other speaker grills in the door for no reason.

Yea, I believe it's a 6.5. All the other non 3-way systems are 6.5's. By the looks of it I think it's 6.5, 3, 1. The problem I'm having with putting new mounting locations is the fact that I will still have the 2 other speaker grills in the door for no reason.
I wouldn't worry about it. Look into the TangBand 3" bamboo drivers for solid midrange.

How would I use seperate speakers without going with an active setup. I would love to go active but I'm having a hard time learning enough about it and not sure if I would be able to tune it correctly myself.

How would I use seperate speakers without going with an active setup. I would love to go active but I'm having a hard time learning enough about it and not sure if I would be able to tune it correctly myself.
Then I'd just go with a 3-way comp set using a 3" midrange. Are you still wanting to relocate the midrange/tweeter? Midrange size will be critical if you're wanting to do this.

I would really like to mount them in a seperate spot but I just got the car and not sure if I want to possibly butcher it. If I can figure a way to do it and still have the ability to put it back to normal or have it be mounted in the same way as whats there I may give it a shot. I'd have to start researching custom fiberglassing again, lol.

I tried to write up a response to this but it's more simple to say you need to do a lot of research before you start spending any money on this project. When your budget on components is that high you probably should be auditioning speakers. Do you have a dealer nearby who sells the brands you asked about? Also, I do not recommend buying from eBay unless you have verified the seller is an authorized dealer. Warranty coverage is more important than saving a quick buck.

p.s. If you are not on http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/ I would register and post your questions in their "No Question Is Dumb" forum.

Thanks for the response. I have been doing a ton of research and know I'm not done. I found a local place that is a hertz dealer so I will go down there and check them out. I have to find out some more brands Im interested in and where they are sold close by. Ebay is tempting but I'd rather have a legit product and feel safe about it, like you mentioned.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.