Sub recomendation for Heavy Metal

Hedo
10+ year member

Decisions on my build are narrowing down and i thank everyone for there input thus far.

Here is what i am doing so far.

HU Alpine 7897

Hybrid Audio L4's in kick panels ran off a Zapco reference 350

Peerless 6.5" Mid bass in each door ran off MB Quart PMB2100

For subs i have room for several options under the rear seat of my 2007 silverado extra cab.

2 10", 2 12", 1 10", 1 12" maximum mounting depth is around 6.5 to 7" ( .65 to .90 cuft each

or i can do a custom center console that would have room for a very deep 10" or 12" sub ( around 1.1 cu ft of space but 13" of depth )

I will choose an amp to run the sub after i have picked out a sub.

I like my music clean so SQ is important but i like output as well. i would like something efficient that doesn't take 1,000 w to make work.

Thanks for the input!

Find some stereo integrity mags v4 and throw them in recommended sealed enclosure on 500rms a piece

Image dynamics ID or IDQ, even a MAX if you can find one. The ID are like 300 rms and sound killer.

Fi Q in a 12" in sealed with 1k.

PG RSDC 10" subs on a 600 watt amp you can find for 200 a pair all day on ebay.

Give us some examples of heavy metal. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

I been told some RD Alhpas respond well that is why I am getting them.

My idea of Heavy Metal is Slayer, Nile, Fear Factory, Machine Head, Old Metallica, Testament, Kill Switch Engage, old Megadeth, ect.ect.

i had a pair of idq 10's ran off an orion HCCA 275g4 in the trunk of my civic. They sounded great but not quite enough output. Before that i had a single 12" idmax ran off a zapco studio 500, it was loud and low but not tight enough even though the enclosure was built to spec.

Since i am now in an extra cab full size truck maybe the output of a pair Id 10" idq's might do it. But i was sending them 500 w rms each to get the out put i had so i am a little concerned about there longevity if i did that again.

I used to run kicker,

If you just go with a base line from either alpineE or Pioneer IMPP, or Infinity, or Soundstreams. you should be ok. make a nice ported box and it should hit nicely.

I run the turantulas and they sound badass with metal. I listen to into the pit alot and most the stuff you listed. Chimera kicks ass with my set up and does pantera, metelica... pick something and tune it in.

My idea of Heavy Metal is Slayer, Nile, Fear Factory, Machine Head, Old Metallica, Testament, Kill Switch Engage, old Megadeth, ect.ect.

I saw Fear Factory when they opened for Ozzy back in 1997, and their idea of bass (at least live) was a droning thud that was so loud you couldnt even hear the guitars or the singer.

I saw Fear Factory when they opened for Ozzy back in 1997, and their idea of bass (at least live) was a droning thud that was so loud you couldnt even hear the guitars or the singer.
was that in phoenix, AZ? I saw them with marlyn manson and some small bands like Downset. great show.

I have seen some bands multiple times. Sometimes they sound awesome and other times they sound like ass. i think it has to do with the venue and who is running the sound board. Also if you see a band outdoors and are to far away the sound waves seem to screw up before they get to you. I have had that happen with Metallica, slayer, slipnot and sepultura. close to the pit they sounded awesome but farther away the sound was not so good.

I am still considering going with a pair of IDQ 10's again although i am looking into the RLi series from sound splinter. I am pretty much wanting to stay in the 1000w range for either a couple of 10's or a single 12" Still searching options but i am still realy torn between a pair of 10's and a single 12.

I have seen some bands multiple times. Sometimes they sound awesome and other times they sound like ass. i think it has to do with the venue and who is running the sound board. Also if you see a band outdoors and are to far away the sound waves seem to screw up before they get to you. I have had that happen with Metallica, slayer, slipnot and sepultura. close to the pit they sounded awesome but farther away the sound was not so good.
I am still considering going with a pair of IDQ 10's again although i am looking into the RLi series from sound splinter. I am pretty much wanting to stay in the 1000w range for either a couple of 10's or a single 12" Still searching options but i am still realy torn between a pair of 10's and a single 12.
I think you'd be happier with the output of the 2 10's. Also they'd probably handle Heavy Metal a little better as well.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.