Will a OIL pressure gauge, give an accurate reading of fuel pressure?

WOT

Banned
My friends car needs some work, its stalling out, and I think its his fuel pump, so we had to check fuel pressure. I went tot he store to find a fuel pressure tester, and they had a kit which is basically just a gauge with 2 hoes that you splice into your fuel line, well it was $100. No thanks

Now because I wnna get this done tomorrow, and buy the stuff local, I cant find a fuel pressure gauge, but I can get a oil pressure gauge. Its a 0-100psi gauge

My question is, will it give an accurate reading of pressure

In my head, pressure is pressure, but I dont wanna waste my friends money

Thanks

K cool, I figured it would "work" , but didnt know if for some reason, fuel pressure, would somehow be differently measured than oil pressure, and Id get innacurate numbers, and diagnose expensive repairs based on those presumptions

Adapting the oil gauge for use on the fuel system might be more trouble then its worth....does the line have a test port or do you have to install it in-line?

You can get an actual fuel pressure tester for about the same price as a quality gauge. No splicing, just attaches to the schrader valve on the fuel rail. I've got one that NAPA sells and was only around $30. Similar to this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Fuel-Injection-Pump-Pressure-Tester-KIT-Tools_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ72Q3a1171Q7c66Q3a2Q7c65Q3a12Q7c39Q3a1Q7c240Q3a1318Q7c301Q3a1Q7c293Q3a1Q7c294Q3a50QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem270377229832QQitemZ270377229832QQptZMotorsQ5fAutomotiveQ5fTools

oil pressure will not work its a fluid based gauge unlees your ussing a full electric and that wont work eathir its ment to read oil wich is thicker then gas tell me what you are doing i can possible help i am a mechanic anyways

oil pressure will not work its a fluid based gauge unlees your ussing a full electric and that wont work eathir its ment to read oil wich is thicker then gas tell me what you are doing i can possible help i am a mechanic anyways
Gasoline is a fluid also. The sender measures pressure, not viscosity.

I just like my set because I can hook up to just about any car. Any gauge should work fine as long as it is safe and not a piece of crap. Gas+ pressure+Hot exhaust manifold= need marshmallows. Check the filter see if it is plugged may be that simple.

You might need a t valve to cut down on the pump pressure spikes and keep the needle from vibrating. At least I know you have to on diesel trucks...

Otherwise I agreee with everyone else. A guage is a guage.

22 yrs ase certified tech. the guages are very specific based on specific gravity, and viscosity has everything to do with it. call any shop and ask them you will not get an accurate reading at all. most f/i vehicles have a shraeder valve for testing the pressure and it is in the rail close to the injestors. what kind of car? yr ect? you can get a fp tester at any part store for 30$

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.