Onkyo TX-SR606

ebrunn
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Tejas
Right now I have the Logitech Z-5500 5.1 setup but am looking to upgrade at least the receiver and the sub for now.

Was looking at the Onkyo 606 and it looks pretty nice. Has support for 7.1 and DD True-HD and DTS HD-MA. I have a Xbox 360 along with a PS3 so that would be my main sources of media for it. I Was reading about it and the only knock is the internal video conversion on it. My Samsung tv is only 720p anyways so I dont think I would be using it anyways.

Budget is around $350-400 for the receiver so this falls right in line. Anybody had any experience with this model. Mainly just want it for sound processing.

No experience with the 606 outside of just messing with it at a store near by, but I have had a 805 and now the 806 and they are great, two of the best receivers I've had. They get a bit hot, but other than that, 0 problems.

Now, in your price range, the other one to look at is a Yamaha 663. It is a good receiver in the same price range. Also the Denon 1909 (pretty sure that's what it is). You can find it towards the upper end of your price range at times. Both of these decode TrueHD and DTS-MA.

All good choices, but I'd upgrade those speakers when you save some funds. Fry's always has good deals on some Polk floor standing speakers which with the right sub are a **** nice budget system with any of those receivers.

You better have good cooling in the cabinet if your going with the 606, that b!tch gets hot...

Actually, just look into cooling in general but get a higher CFM system if your going with the onkyo...

onkyo is bad ass period, i have the 5100 htib and its amazing. plan on upgrading to the 606 receiver sometime soon. but holy crap does this get loud, bass is low and loud, music never sounded so good. and 7.1 ftw.

onkyo 4 lyf3

Yeah, I also use mine to bi-amp my front stage using a 5.1

When watching movies, I'm driving all 7 channels @4ohms... and never had any problems. (It's rated for 8ohm operation, 6 ohm minimum.)

nG

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

ebrunn

10+ year member
CarAudio.com Elite
ebrunn
Tejas
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date