Does anyone know how to calculate capacitor's efficiency?

dazz888
10+ year member

Hi,

Does anyone know how to calculate amplifier's watt output ratings vs. capacitor's farrad ratings (efficiency and such)? I'm trying to figure out on at what wattage does one need to install a capacitor.

Here's my situation, I'm running Alpine MRP M450 (400w x 1) at 2ohm and Alpine MRP F300 (50w x 4) at 4ohm and I'm contempolating to purchase one of those Tsunami LITEWAVE Series PP912UM-CAP (rated at 1.2farrad)...

Thanks!

flux-capacitor-real.jpg

Are you having any problems with your electrical system?

If not, dont worry.

If so, correct the problem instead of trying to use a CAP as a band aid. It wont help.

But just as a reference, it is said to use 1 farad for every 1000w.

Calculation:

cN = # of capcitors

D = Distance from you to trash can in yards

T = # of trys you took to swoosh

S = Your skill level on a scale of 1 - 10

(cN + D) / S = T

Please note, this formula may be flawed and is for entertainment purposes only

a caps IR is extremely important. there are many caps on the market where you wont get much if any benifit from using them other than the voltmeter read out. A propper working low ir cap will do "its job" if everything else is up to par (alt, wire, battery) but generally speaking when everything else is up to par and your amplifiers have at least a decent design you wont see nor hear a difference..unless you are doing a visual on the voltage ripple.....

a caps IR is extremely important. there are many caps on the market where you wont get much if any benifit from using them other than the voltmeter read out. A propper working low ir cap will do "its job" if everything else is up to par (alt, wire, battery) but generally speaking when everything else is up to par and your amplifiers have at least a decent design you wont see nor hear a difference..unless you are doing a visual on the voltage ripple.....
you sir are correct, caps do have a use but like he said every other factor must be working correctly for the cap to do it job, like if your already straining your alternator a cap will just make it worse.

So yes people who say caps are worthless are incorrect in some cases but correct in the fact that 99% of cap users are using them incorrectly.

And stay away from any high farad cap that is not electrolytic, the best way to tell is it is not longer a cylinder, they will be rectangle boxes and ****, they have a higher esr (amount of time to dump their power) than a battery and are just a heavy voltage display

ESR doesn't have anything to do with the "speed" a cap and deliver current. What is does affect is the amount of voltage that hte cap dumps when trying to deliver a decent amount of current. With a battery, the ESR is largely accounted for in the design of the battery. Also factor in the relative capacity of the two types of devices and the cap quickly shows why it is useless (yes, I said USELESS) as a current delivery device. Do the big 3. Get a good battery.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.