Do amps give off a burning smell?

WillyG4444
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Ridgewood
I'm powering a 2005 model 15" Kicker L7 with a Profile AP2000 amp at 4 ohms bridged. The amp is rated at 960wRMS x 1 at 4 ohms bridged. I have the gain at a little less than 3/4. If I play the sub loud for a couple minutes on a song that has good bass, I always get this burning smell. Then, I check my amp, and it's not in protect mode or anything, but it's hot. I'm wondering why this is happening? Is it my amp? my sub? What can I do to solve this problem? Thanks, help is appreciated.

if its new it could just be that smell...or it could be something worse...some amps just get hot...
Profiles are not one of them. If its a burning smell on a profile chances are something is wrong. I never got a burning smell on profile amps. Plus any time someone adjusts their gain by "3/4" you know its probably not set right for the sub //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Normally amps do not give off a burning smell unless they are fried. Then you can definitely smell it. Are you sure you aren't clipping the signal to the subs causing the voice coils to heat up?

Well the sub was used, so I figured it was broken in... I didn't crank it at first really. I only had it half way up at first.
The smell isn't a sign it's breaking in. It's a sign you're overpowering it. Possibly due to inproper gain and/or bass boost settings, which lead to clipping.

Ah... stupid me. Well, I read the gain setting tutorial and it's pretty self explanatory, but can I do it without a voltage meter? I don't have access to one or anything like it.

Ah... stupid me. Well, I read the gain setting tutorial and it's pretty self explanatory, but can I do it without a voltage meter? I don't have access to one or anything like it.

Yeah you do , go to sears and buy one, best 20 bucks you'll ever spend.

yup just buy a dmm. radioshack has one for like $15. and wow 3/4 gain? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif mines like 1/10.

Yeah probably the sub. I have had smoke pouring out ports before haha! Means you have the voice coil pretty darn hot, usually 350F+++ Also I have to agree, probably not the amp. As crappy as they may seem, I never had a profile let me down *LOL* I owned a few california series back in the 90's. Have to say they were the most bullet proof beat on amps I have owned. They are still rocking in my dads offroad truck today hahah! The are bairly white, have beer stains on them, heat sinks gouged, not even mounted... every now and again a wire pulls out and deadshorts blowing a fuse yet they keep going! I have asked my dad to let me install them right for him and clean them up, but he says the beer stains keeps them cool and is sticking the board together. A profile always puts a smile on my face, not from laughing at it, but knowing that it is actually a good amp haha!!!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.