Zed Leviathan Version 1 - cliffs notes

Participant count
  • Participant list

West

Banned
Zed Leviathan Version 1

(with popping problem fixed)

Review of Amplifier:

An amazing class D for sound quality with tons of power.

Quick specs

150x6 @ 4 ohm

250x6 @ 2 ohm

500x3 @ 4 ohm

THD - 0.017%

S/n - 90.6 db

Efficiency 70.2%

Max current draw (2 ohms) - 168A

Ease of use: 7/10

The speaker wire and power wire connections are pretty good. I ran 12 gauge wire and usually there is an issue when I try to fasten the wire to the amp. But the wire ports are large enough to easily get the wire in and secure it with out much of a struggle. The ports are facing downward so wire has to be pushed upward while you are tightening the clamps. This isn't exactly a struggle, but the design could use improvement.

The amplifer has a plethra of settings. It is highly advisable to read the manual before setup.

The mid channels have both high and low pass filters so three way component systems do not require crossovers. (24db/octive)

Sound quality: 9.9/10 (Awesome!)

I have to say I hesistated slightly before buying this amp. It's a class D which usually isn't known for having great sound. But when everything was configured correctly I was blown away. I should note that the crossovers on the amp are OK and using an active capable deck or processor would be much more ideal than the crossovers on the amp.

The lack of noise in the channels is what impresses me the most. At 2/3 system volume I can barely tell that the system was powered up. The output is chrisp and clean and rivaled my McIntosh amps in performance.

Efficiency: 9/10

70.2% (max)

58.6% at 10w/channel

It runs very cool for me, but I am only using about 300 watts.

The voltage draw on my system was minimal and I was highly surprized at this. I drive a 99 Camry with a 80A alt, no big three currently and a 600w Class AB sub amp (mcc302). I would expect a combo like this to be a much larger drain on my electiral. However cruizing at 65mph my voltage is at a steady 14.3. At idol my voltage is at 13.8 or so.

Looks: 9/10

Personally I like to display my amplifiers. I know the current trend is to hide them underneath seats and try to save cargo space, but that's not my style.

The amp looks really great. My only comment would be to add some more LED lights and a glass plate instead of plexiglass. The lights on the amp are very high output and can easily be seen in my rear window. (Since my 6x9 speakers have been removed.)

Symmary:

I would defiantely recommend this amp to others. They can be pricey (around 800$ for the leviathan III) , but you do get the quality you pay for. The one I am using was serviced to fix some issues the first generation was having. I have not used the amp for very long, but I am highly optimiztic that I will be using it in one of my vehicles for quite sometime.

Refs.

Leviathan PASMAG

The point of the angled power and speaker terminals is for people who like to run wires down through a mounting board. Compared to the stress people can put on terminals trying to get the wires underneath something as close to the amp as possible I suspect it serves a need. I think I've seen these angled terminals on something else as well, but can't recall what.

I have yet to blow the 60A fuse on mine (got mine with the original SSA pre order) and I drive all channels hard @ 4 ohm. IMO best Zed amp to date, wouldn't trade mine for anything.

Amazingly impressive if it's really comparable to a three times more expensive Mcintosh. What kind of music do you listen to?
Amazingly impressive is a good way to describe it... Just get a deck with some high volt rca's and it will sound super clean. **** near as clean as the McIntosh... But I haven't tried the Mac on these new speakers.

Rock and roll some punk: Stuff like Boston, Green day, Aerosmith

Older stuff like Zepplin as well

Cant forget about Michael Jackson though. His recordings are by the far the best sounding...

[quote name='dragnix']If I sell all my audios, i might consider buying one...if I find one for a good price[/QUOTE]

Hit up @Vertex Audio ; I bought this one from him (475$ or so).
I guess the first generations had some sort of issue. This one was serviced and resold.
Works just fine tho. lol

[quote name='West']Hit up @Vertex Audio ; I bought this one from him (475$ or so).
I guess the first generations had some sort of issue. This one was serviced and resold.
Works just fine tho. lol[/QUOTE]

Yea I inquired about it b4 n he was sold out

The point of the angled power and speaker terminals is for people who like to run wires down through a mounting board. Compared to the stress people can put on terminals trying to get the wires underneath something as close to the amp as possible I suspect it serves a need. I think I've seen these angled terminals on something else as well, but can't recall what.
I have yet to blow the 60A fuse on mine (got mine with the original SSA pre order) and I drive all channels hard @ 4 ohm. IMO best Zed amp to date, wouldn't trade mine for anything.
That makes a lot of sense. The terminals were big, so I didn't have issues. I wish all the amps would have bigger openings for the power cords. It's never easy getting KNU 4 gauge in there, but on the Zed it wasn't that bad.

Yea I inquired about it b4 n he was sold out
How I got shopping is I check the forums ca and diymobileaudio also ebay. Do it 1x a day in the evening it usually takes me about 2 weeks to find a decient deal on most things. Sometimes even yahoo searchs can pull up craigslist ad's with awesome prices. I found three mcintosh amps on there and had no issues with the people.

Addition: the one mcintosh headunit the guy never shipped, but I got my money back from paypal.

Paypal insures all transactions are covered. Forums and craigslist are also covered. Just pay the 3% and be covered, never gift lol.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...

About this thread

West

Banned
West
Oliver Springs, TN
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views