Zcon 18" running 1200rms now, 2400 rms worth it?

darren700
10+ year member

got bu/\/\p?
So i just got my Zcon 18 installed in my 6.7 cu. ft. Net Box. it is tuned at 34hz with 112 sq in port.

Currently its running off US Amps MD1 (1200rms) and gets pretty **** loud.

This is a Great sub, well built and very good looking.

not quite as good sq as my Stereo Integrity Mag V3 but its close.

(that could also be due to the higher tuning as the mag was in a 28hz box.)

Im wondering, would it be worth it to double the power to 2400watts?

for a daily application would it really be much louder? the sub already moves pretty good as is.

If i upgraded it would be to this:

Audioque AQ2200D ($430)

DC Power SPX270 or XP300 Alternator ($590 or $500)

Kinetic HC2000 to replace stock battery ($220) **in addition to my HC2400**

So the total cost of moving up to 2400rms would be around $1200.

is it really worth that much to double the power for daily? realistically what could i expect to see? a 2-3db increase?

thanks for any advice.

Posted in your thread on ssa, and I agree with hispls. Once you step up power you might want to make a different box to compliment it

So i just got my Zcon 18 installed in my 6.7 cu. ft. Net Box. it is tuned at 34hz with 112 sq in port.Currently its running off US Amps MD1 (1200rms) and gets pretty **** loud.

This is a Great sub, well built and very good looking.

not quite as good sq as my Stereo Integrity Mag V3 but its close.

(that could also be due to the higher tuning as the mag was in a 28hz box.)

Im wondering, would it be worth it to double the power to 2400watts?

for a daily application would it really be much louder? the sub already moves pretty good as is.

If i upgraded it would be to this:

Audioque AQ2200D ($430)

DC Power SPX270 or XP300 Alternator ($590 or $500)

Kinetic HC2000 to replace stock battery ($220) **in addition to my HC2400**

So the total cost of moving up to 2400rms would be around $1200.

is it really worth that much to double the power for daily? realistically what could i expect to see? a 2-3db increase?

thanks for any advice.
this.

I'm sure it'd be worth it to give it atleast rms. not so sure your gonna need that big of an alt tho. Could save money and snatch up a 200a alt and be just fine.

Like hispls said, 3 db is not anything to write home about, about like being able to raise the volume a couple of notches....unless you are chasing numbers on a meter, then it can be a big thing..but riding down the road listening to music?...nah...and buying another amp to gain 500w would be even less noticeable...

Like hispls said, 3 db is not anything to write home about, about like being able to raise the volume a couple of notches....unless you are chasing numbers on a meter, then it can be a big thing..but riding down the road listening to music?...nah...and buying another amp to gain 500w would be even less noticeable...
it may sound better though on a AQ 2200D..lol.

Well i finally got around to setting my gains with the dimm to 1200watts exactly.

I have also solved the last couple vibration problems (had to put foam between the headboard and frame.)

with the gain dialed in to 1200watts @ 50hz it is not nearly as loud as i want it. pushing the gain any higher results in audible clipping so i wont do that (was hard to distinguish before due to truck vibrations)

i also got around to looking at my xmax (was just guessing before), id be lucky if the sub is moving 6-8mm with my amp.

I have therefore decided to upgrade to the aq2200 asap as i feel the extra power will make a big difference since im seeing such small travel now.

Im gonna try it with the electrical i have now, if it cant keep up, ill turn the gain on the 2200 down until i can afford more electrical to back it up.

I also ordered a DC Clamp meter so i can get an idea of exactly how much i am stressing my alt and how much my system is pulling.

Thanks again for the advice all.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.