Zapco 500M Power

wesleywahl
10+ year member

I have ordered a Zapco 500M amp and 2 10" MB Quart PWE 254 subs. The amp is rated at 500w RMS @ 2 Ohm and 800w MAX @ 2 Ohm. The subs are rated at 400w RMS and are DVC 4 Ohm. I had intended on wiring these to 2 Ohm, but because I am kinda new to this stuff I didn't realize that you can't. Would this amp still provide enough power for these subs at 4 Ohms? I looked for specs for this amp at 4 Ohms but could only find for 2 Ohms. If not, would it be better for me to sell this amp and buy a different one, or would it be a good idea to buy another one of these and run one sub on one amp. I was afraid that this might be too much power then. If I should buy a different amp: I would like to sell this one if anyone is interested; and which amp should I buy. I think I would like to stay with Zapco but Im not sure which model would work best.

Priorityship
10+ year member

I would say try it...worst case sell the zapco and get a moer powerful amp. My old zapco 200 was the cleanest amp I have ever owned. you will still probably get around 350-400 watts at 4ohms. What does your birth sheet rate your 500m at?

Notwerk
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Miami, Fl
Well, at four ohm, that amp will provide enough power to move the subs, but it won't take full advantage of the subs. That being said, Zapco is a truly premium brand and you're lucky to have that amp, I just wonder whether it might not be better suited elsewhere.

I take it that amp is a class a/b? If it is, you might want to consider using it to run your front soundstage. It would be a beast for that.

Not to say that it couldn't run the subs. Give it a shot and see how you like it. Zaps are truly amazing amps. I don't think I could part with one if I ever had the chance to buy one.

So I take it the problem is that in parallel, those subs produce a 1 ohm load, and the amp isn't built for it? Perhaps you should consider something like a Directed 600D?

Good luck

bondovw
10+ year member

500m is a single channel and not 1 ohm stable, I have one hooked up to 2 kicker comp 15s and it works really well. They handle 250 each and I was pushing them really hard. The 500m is 2 ohm stable , I also tryed it on 2 kicker comp cvr 12s and that sounded great to. I switched to my older earthquake pa 2300 amp 600watts and it was a lot more power than the zapco. The bigger earthquake was the winner with the cvr 12s . The 500M will push the 10s no problem, 2 of the zapcos may be 2 much for the 10s . If you want to sell the zapco let me know.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.