Zane need honest opinion...

Participant count
  • Participant list

Yitzy
10+ year member

ph3@r
MA
I am looking for an mp3 HU, a sub (or 2), an amp, and a sealed enclosure for less than 800. I was lookin at the Blaupunkt Santa Cruz HU (ne good?) and JL audio for the sub. Which would be better... A JL W6 or a Fosgate 12 inch HX2? any recommended cheaper amps or enclosures? (I also looked at cmt tradeing web site and want to know R They 4 REAL??? It's so cheap. Oh well any help would be awesome!

yitzy, are you looking for sq or spl? i have hx2's and will they sound good(they hit hard) i think the jl's will sound better. what about eclipse 8712? i think the are a great woofer, sound good and hit hard. they are around the same price as a punch hx2. anyway that's about $300 (for 1) of your budget. the blaupunk(san jose mp3), well that's another $300. you'll need from 350-500wrms to power the sub and enclosure and wires and install(diy?) anyway, you'll probably need to up your budget unless you buy online, then there's warranty issues.

sounds like a good start though!

get what you feel comfortable with.. in the price range you are looking in ......ample amps or the 2 smaller memphis class d amps would work..as far as an mp3 player .......i have not seen anything as good (durability) as a sony mp450....but we only have 2 around where i live to choose from aiwa and sony lolol ........course jensen too but they dont count lol

Originally posted by Yitzy I am looking for an mp3 HU, a sub (or 2), an amp, and a sealed enclosure for less than 800. I was lookin at the Blaupunkt Santa Cruz HU (ne good?) and JL audio for the sub. Which would be better... A JL W6 or a Fosgate 12 inch HX2? any recommended cheaper amps or enclosures? (I also looked at cmt tradeing web site and want to know R They 4 REAL??? It's so cheap. Oh well any help would be awesome!
I have never really had much of an issue at all with Blaupunkt equipment, it has always done its job well. The Santa Cruz in particular seems to have all the regular bells and whistles, no doubt that it would be a good source.

With Subs, It really does depend on weather or not you are wanting more SPL or SQ.

Rockford would get my vote for SPL and JL for SQ.

As mrray pointed out- the Eclipse 87120 would also offer an excellent alternative- however for $300 for one- I would suggest an upgrade to the Eclipse 88120 Aluminum Cone Model. Best of both worlds there- but more suited for SQ apps.

Enclosure wise- build your own. You can get far closer to the subs exact enclosure requirements by punching its T/S Parameters into an enclosure calculator and modeling program such as LSPCAD, WinISD, FLEXSYS, BlauBox, etc.

Cost is far less also.

As for the Amp- I would look into a MMatts D300 at http://www.thezeb.com - it is quite the performer for the money.

I have not had any direct experience with CMT Trading. I would be a little skeptical due to the type of merchandise they sell and costs- which are quite low- however they may be worth a shot.

I pulled CMT Tradings Better Business Bureau report, and there are only 3 complaints against them within the last 12 months- which is par- if not better than average for most companies.

You can check the report out by clicking anywhere in this mess:

http://www.sanmateo.bbb.org/common.html?location=/home/common/www/mis67/report.php&bureau=sanm&compid=41000078&national=Y

I'd say give them a shot if you find anything you like and then pass along your experiences about the company here so others may benefit.

take it easy,

-zane

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.