Z v.4 15" Prototype Built Up

This high excursion trend I'm seeing with new SD products is cool and all, but how are these huge surrounds affecting cone area? I understand that these drivers are high-excursion, but is that making up for the loss of cone area?

Not dissing, just curious.

This high excursion trend I'm seeing with new SD products is cool and all, but how are these huge surrounds affecting cone area? I understand that these drivers are high-excursion, but is that making up for the loss of cone area?
Not dissing, just curious.
This was discussed and measured somewhere in one of these new build threads.

Found it:

http://www.caraudio.com/forums/sundown-audio/559863-sundown-2012-cones-shop.html

---------- Post added at 06:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:43 PM ----------

Post 10.

The current cones are also our "daily" and "music average class" cones -- I will also develop a burp "SPL" cone down the line with less mass and a bit less dramatic surround. Primarily for higher frequency burp classes where all the mechanical capacity isn't needed and less mass is more critical.

Okay I got the pricing in for everything on these drivers and ran the numbers :

Z v.4 Pricing :

Size // MAP price from authorized dealer

10 -- $500

12 -- $530

15 -- $585

18 -- $610

Okay I got the pricing in for everything on these drivers and ran the numbers :
Z v.4 Pricing :

Size // MAP price from authorized dealer

10 -- $500

12 -- $530

15 -- $585

18 -- $610
$500 for a 10" sub? When did sundown merge with IA?

We've never claimed to be the cheapest on the market; if you want a high performance product come and get it. If you want cheap there are plenty of other options.

We've never claimed to be the cheapest on the market; if you want a high performance product come and get it. If you want cheap there are plenty of other options.
I know, I know. It's just hard to spend $500 on a $1500w woofer. I was never questioning your quality, I think it's safe to say your subs are far from being cookie cutter products, so i completely understand the higher prices, I just can't afford them :'(

I understand your perspective; if I could get the materials cheaper I'd charge less for them. These are quite expensive to make.

For many folks the X line will deliver a large percentage of the performance for significantly less money.

I understand your perspective; if I could get the materials cheaper I'd charge less for them. These are quite expensive to make.
For many folks the X line will deliver a large percentage of the performance for significantly less money.
For sure, I know unique products like the basket and larger surrounds you're using cost an arm and a leg to set up production for. Not to mention the prototypes and revisions. As an engineer, I can definitely understand where your costs are coming from.

Will you be revamping your SA line of woofers with the new basket and surround? or will those remain similar to the new SA8?

The SA will not get these frames ; they simply cost too much and wouldn't give us a good benefit to cost ratio.

I've been discussing on Facebook a bit of releasing an "SA Ultra" model in 10/12/15 sizes that is about $50 bucks more that has about 33% more linear x-max, 20% higher motor force, a 25% higher thermal rating, around 1/2 the at-rest inductance, thicker magnet ID shorting ring, and newly tooled spiders and surrounds with expanding excursion capability. We would eventually tool a basket more similar to the SA-8 v.2 for this line but for at least a year would be sold with the 4-spoke frame as it still works out for the design.

We would keep the current SA line on board, simply doing slow tweaks as we have been for years, as so many folks like them and like the price point as well.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

sundownz

Pro Seller
Supporting Vendor
sundownz
North Carolina
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date