your biggest car audio mistake...

slick316
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Moore, OK
basically, what is the biggest mistake you have made in car audio, anything, an installation mistake or a product mistake, whatever.

i'll start. i say my rear fill is the biggest mistake. for some reason, i had it in my head that i "had" to have rear speakers, but of course, i can never hear them. i went through two 4 channel amps, and 2 set of speakers for rear fill before i realized that a good pair of speakers up front is enough. i wish i didn't spend all the time and money on rear fill, what a pain it was to remove rear panels to get at the rear speakers.

The only mistake I've ever made was letting a salesman decide what speakers were better for me. I bought a system and I was deciding on what kind of rear speaker I wanted to go with it. I really liked the way The Boston Acoustics sounded but the salesman tried to convince me that the ADS speakers were better. He said they were flatter and sounded more real, which they probably did but I still liked the way The BA's sounded.. He didn't hammer me over the head trying to make my mind up for me but he was giving subtle hints that the ADS's were better. I figured that he was more experienced in the subject than I was and I think I wanted to impress him by liking the so called better speakers. I went with the ADS's and right away I didn't like them. I gave it time to get used to them but I knew they weren't for me. I went back to the salesman and he was cool about it. They replaced the ADS's with BA's and I fell in love with the sound.. I learned that only one person knows what I like and that's me..

1 mistake i have made is.. i had a kicker comp SVC... it had a 2nd set i guess for easy hook up for another sub... so i thoughti it may have been DVC. so i hooked it up DVC.. and smoke ....fried my alpine v12 amp.....

another mistake.. getting in a hurry... i was rerunning my wires and i finally had them finished, i went to plug inmy power plug to my amp... had it upside down... so Pos wire went to Ground on amp and Ground wire to Positve on amp... causeing sparks and a loud POP......

I m sure their plenty more....

I learned that only one person knows what I like and that's me..
Thats very true. Everyone should go about stuff like that.

I think my mistake was getting audio before car. Half the word "car audio" consists of "car", but it depends 100% on whether you have car audio, or no audio. My second biggest mistake I think is getting my speakers, deck, and subs before my head unit. But I saved money this way and thats how its gonna be. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

- pe@ce

I have to say that my biggest car audio mistake so far is cutting the hole for my components speakers a little too close to the window crank handle on the passenger side door. I had to recut the hole and even then I still had a rather large, or at least noticeable 1/2" hole on the top right corner of the passenger side speaker. It really ****** but one of these days ill replace the door panels. The drivers side door panel is already splt in half, I noticed that when I took it off to cut the whole for the drivers side component midbass.

forgetting to turn up the gain when i hooked up my system for the first time and flipping out and getting frustrated wondering what the fuk i did wrong and checking everything but the amp. lol.

forgetting to turn up the gain when i hooked up my system for the first time and flipping out and getting frustrated wondering what the fuk i did wrong and checking everything but the amp. lol.
Lol. I feel sorry for you. Atleast ya installed it right //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif.

- pe@ce

This isn't really a mistake but i hate how i buy all this good equipment, but when it comes time to put it all in, i just lose all my motivation to get stuff built. I basically have a full system (in my sig) sitting in my bedroom. I have two weeks to fabricate a fiberglass box and fiberglass kickpanels, make an amp rack, plus sound dampen and cut and fit new carpet into my Blazer. I am a very good and efficient worker when i actually do something, but its just hard to get out there when its 20 degress out!. I'm gonna get it done though before i go back to school!

hooked up my earthquake D2 at 1 ohm, when its max was 2000Wrms at 2 ohms....
money down the drain, YEAH
Aww man thats gotta **** really bad. Those amps cost a fortune to. Im happy to say that ive never blown an audio component yet in the time that I have done it. Except for what ive done on purpose :thumbsup , such as hooking up an Altec Lansing 2 1/2" computer speaker to my amp. Didnt do much just played about 2 seconds then the voice coils melted and sent the amp into protection.

****ed up something so that my stereo, clock, and dome light wouldn't come on and got really frustrated because i didnt know what was wrong. So I backed the car out of the garage but because I was so angry I didn't watch my mirrors... Hit the garage with the right mirror, has a nice piece missing and nice big crack in it. I later found out it was only a fuse.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.