Yes Pyramids do get hot

bootleg
10+ year member

Got Adire?
Alright, I am probably known for my excess amount of boasting by now. You're right rangerman, it did get a little hot, it singed my carpet as a matter of fact. I used an old tine box to prop it up and get it cool again for the ride but now I need a heat sink for it.

I was looking for anything with a fan or a comparable unit. Please reply!

But it hasnt been a year yet!!!!!//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Well I cant really tell if you are looking for an "I told you so" or what from your post. Lets go with this though........

Assuming that the amp is still functioning; unplug all the connections and try to remove the amplifier shroud. It should be just a few screws holding it on. Once this is done, re-mount your amp without the shroud (this may require relocating to an area that will not endanger the amps internals) then install a small 12VDC fan on one end of the amp - about right in the middle. This fan should be wired to a remote via-relay so that it comes on whenever the amp does. This should allow a little extra air movement and reduce the amplifiers operating temperature.

see what happens with this- but take extra precaution when the amplifier is not in its shroud. You may even way to mount a piece of plexi glass over its entire surface about 3/4 to 1" above the actual amp (thus still allowing airflow) This will prevent some exposure problems. Providing this works............

May as well have a shot at it though.

take it easy,

-zane

I had to do that to a sh!tty amp I had before, of course running it @ 2-ohms wasn't exactly a good idea, but I got it to work. I don't think that amp will really last a whole lot longer running as hot as it is. Even with the fan, it's just a matter of time. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Originally posted by bootleg Alright, I am probably known for my excess amount of boasting by now. You're right rangerman, it did get a little hot, it singed my carpet as a matter of fact. I used an old tine box to prop it up and get it cool again for the ride but now I need a heat sink for it.

ehehe were you playing volume master with a "grasshopper" amp?

Originally posted by bootleg Alright, I am probably known for my excess amount of boasting by now. You're right rangerman, it did get a little hot, it singed my carpet as a matter of fact. I used an old tine box to prop it up and get it cool again for the ride but now I need a heat sink for it.

Exactly!!! I am the winner!!! LOL. Seriously, forget the heatsink and just save up to get another amp. It will be better for you in the long run...

hey if you wanna fry eggs its still good...never use mobile authority, regular sony ,pyramid or like amplifiers if you are going to be a volume master..they wont take it...definition of a volume master is- someone that runs their amp into too low of an impedence and or sets the gains up high then cranks it. any amp that durability is at best average you should never be a volume master with. they are only good amps with "normal" playing aka propperly set gains at medium volume levels

Even with the fan, it's just a matter of time.
No we're not wrong, actually I will stick to my quote, it's just a matter of time before you come wimpering back on here, whining about how your amp blew up, while you were playing volume master ( as audiolife calls it).

even if it had a 3000 amp fuse on it it wouldnt matter. ohms law holds true here and where the hell you get a 120 amp fuse that isnt an anl fuse? they also make 60 amp anl fuses? you cant read the big white numbers on them? biggest agu fuse i have seen that i didnt make is 80 amps..... biggest maxi fuse i have seen is 80 amps...besides that a fuse is totally passive until too much power passes through it...if something was wrong (current gets too high it blows saving your wire not your amp!!!! ) so under a "normal load your amp was still ok aka it would cook with a 60 amp fuse just as easily.

No no, I mean the fuse on my actual fuse box, I wired it through an auxilary line in my truck and then went to my amp. I'm still not sure if that was the total cause or not but ya know it's not appreciated to be **** on just for submitting a thread.

Not to add to it, but there is not a 120 blade style auto fuse that is being used in auto production today. More or less a 120 blade style fuse all together.......

take it easy,

-zane

yea next time i want to limit the amount of current my system uses i'll just get a smaller fuse:rolleyes: we are not jumping you bootleg its just that something bad happens you explain it it doesnt make sense you change something that doesnt matter (unless you are trying to burn your car down) yet its all ok......i would look over your install..sorry for sounding rude but i am just trying to get you to prevent something. singed carpet? i never even done that yet. and what size wire are you using on this amp? you install an amp with the power wire comming off the battery your amp would require at least an 8 ga wire.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.