xxv-01d

jjones5000
10+ year member

I'm sure this is something i'm doing wrong and it's blatantly obvious. But there is no sound output onto the RCA's? Any suggestions? Everything else is working fine. There is voltage on the remote line cause amps are on, but no signal being sent out? Internal amp is set to off. Any suggestions?

Hmm...

There is no method of manually defeating the output from the RCAs excepting the subwoofer output...

Is this a phenomenon that only recently presented itself or is it something you've been battling for awhile?

Some more details, please...

I just got the HU today. I'd assume turning the onboard amp to off would automatically make the RCA's go on. And I got 2 pairs of RCA's hooked up and nothing on either channel.

I looked around all over, only thing i could find is amp setting, and that's for the internal amp according to the manual. Only thing out of the ordinary that i see is that there is a TI flashing on the screen while i'm playing the CD that i can't hear.

Toggling the internal amp On or Off does nothing to the RCA preamp outputs.

It either allows or disallows power to be fed out of the speaker outputs.

The 'TI' flashing on the display is the indicator for the Traffic Information function being turned on.

If your locality's radio stations have SWS broadcasts included in their outgoing signal and if there were to be bigtime traffic delays that are noteworthy they would be played through your deck to alert you of the possible necessity of adjusting your route in case you had originally planned on traveling where the tie-up was located. This should have absolutely zero effect on whether or not there is output from the RCA outs.

Where did you buy the deck from? I'll assume since you just got it today and the XXV-01D (I run one as well) was Kenwood's top non-DVD offering for model year 2005 that it was used?

Yes i purchased it used from a member on here. Unit is in GREAT shape appearance-wise. I just went out disconnected from power and reset unit and still no output. Gheez... This is killing me, i was looking forward to this HU so much.

The previous unit i had was an Alpine CDA-9813. I'm using the same everything the same from then. Everything worked great earlier today. Only thing i can think of if going up from 4v to 5v preouts did something funky. Also, one more thing, when until first goes from standby to tuner after something in ther menu changes the unit turns off then immediately back on, is this normal?

now the problem has evolved into some even worse creature, now i can change options in standby mode, but when i hit the source key to go into either cd or tuner mode it just starts turning on and off all alternating like. I'm really dumbfounded now. It's like it's not getting enough power, but it's got 10 ga. power right to battery and 10 ga. ground right to chassis! I'm realy getting steamed, I want to get this working before tomorrow. I even thought for a moment it may be security, but that's not it either...

Shoot me your ideas guys, anything can't hurt.

Right now i'm running it as dead-head so the only wires i have hooked up is power acccesory ground and remote.

I run mine as a dead-head as well. Matter of fact the internal amp in mine has never once been activated (first thing I did upon installing it but before ever powering it on was kill internal amp output via the appropriate menu in Standby mode) so as far as that goes my XXV's internal amp is still a brand new, never been powered amp! Too bad I can't remove it and sell it as such...

I digress...

Going from a HU with 4v preouts to the XXV which has 5v preouts wouldn't have affected anything but the proper positioning of the gain adjustment on your amplifiers. That shouldn't have anything to do with what you're experiencing.

Going from Standby mode to Tuner mode you shouldn't see anything but the bluish graphic that rolls across the display left to right accompanied by the temporary appearance of the word "Tuner" then all of it disappears and actually goes to the Tuner mode display - the specifics of which will be dependent on how you've setup the deck.

The deck should decidedly not cycle on then off or whatever it's doing when you switch modes. It should go from Standby (doing nothing) to Tuner and play whatever radio station you were listening to when last using the tuner.

It won't be a security code issue because if it were the very first time you turned it on the unit would have asked you to input whatever 4-digit code had been set by the previous owner (if it had even been activated - most users do not bother) If it didn't immediately ask for a code upon being connected to power and turned on this isn't the issue either.

As for alternately turning on then off when trying to access a mode that will let you listen to something? Whether it be tuner, CD, or Aux In, then I would suggest that (here's the bit you don't want to hear) that something is wrong with the stereo, plain and simple.

The only other possibility I can think of at the moment is that there is an issue with the cabling you're using to provide power and/or ground to the deck and that those connections aren't as solid as you must believe them to be.

Check those first. If you can verify beyond a shadow of a doubt that the swithed power, constant power, and ground connections are sufficient then the only thing left (going by your description of what the deck is doing) is unfortunately going to be a malfunction that is going to require repair.

What member did you get the deck from? If they bought it from an authorized source it is possible that it might still be under warranty coverage and you might not have to pay to get it fixed...

I got it from Randyrsx, he said it worked fine for him on all 3 RCA outputs. When i switch from standby to tuner it powers off then back on. The cables i'm using are the same i was using with my alpine. So i think they're fine. Although i'll re-check them tomorrow. Thanks for your help prowler I'll keep this thread updated.

No, when it is turning on and off, it's fully turning on and off, like light for the display and the screen and everything, still no sound output though...

Well - it just crossed my mind that it might be something so simple as dirty contacts on the faceplate and/or front of the chassis. Have a look at those and let us know if they seem clean or dirty to you just looking at them...

Okay, i'll take a look. Also it's worth mentioning that i do have the whole system.... hmmm.... "afro-engineered" to run whilst the car is completely off. Not even in accessory mode. Has never been a problem before, just figured i'd mention. The switched power goes to the fuse panel and it connected into a fuse that was supposed to be switched power. The plan originally was to have it operate normally, but apparently the fuse i chose was not a switched one, and i kinda like it that way anyway. So the whole time i was testing it the car was completely off.

Also, another interesting observation, the back right side of the HU, the part unseen, gets hot... I mean FVCKING hot real fast. Like within 45 seconds it's so hot i can hardly touch it. IT seems as though this shouldn't happen with the internal amp off.... Maybe it's normal. Maybe it's not, but with my computer science background this bothers me nonetheless. Because if it gets this hot now, i can only imagine what it'll be like when it's in the dash and all cramped in there...

The deck being wired "perma-hot" (as I used to call it when I installed a HU that had constant power and required no action by the ignition switch to play) should make no difference whatsoever.

That backside of the unit getting that hot that fast - especially when producing no output - isn't a common condition at all. Certainly mine doesn't get near that hot ever. I think that is sadly going to be further indicative of a serious internal problem that is going to require the attention of Mr FixIt. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

jjones5000

10+ year member
jjones5000
Midland co., MI
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from