xmax/xmech

Thanks for the info.

Speaking SQ how important in xmax?

I know there are several other factors but specifically looking at it from a SQ stand point what T/S parameter should i be looking at for a sealed box?

I have heard its better to go with 1 sub in a SQ system? I have went from1 15 JLw1 to 4 12vs (ALpine r's) to 2 PG Ti10's. Aside from the extra power required for the 4 12vs - All three set-ups sounded the same at a moderate volume level if that makes any sense. However, considering I only had 500w on the 15 I felt it was the better overall SQ set-up.

With this in mind (and having blown the 2 PG Ti10's) I am considering a single sub set-up again. I am planning on running 2k watts on a single driver (10,12,15 or 18 - which ever would be the best size for SQ (at a hi to moderate volume level).

So, do I need to worry about xmax or start somewhere else with this system?

Got 0 guage ran throughout with 3 gel cells. Big 3 installed with 0 guage. Think I am good on elec side.

Thanks again

2k on any driver sealed your going to be at thermal limits and probably mechanical too. If I had that much power on tap I would either do a ported box to keep excursion down some and allow you to use all that power, or even better, divide it between 2 woofers. Sealed boxes can be smaller, 2 12's on 1000 watts each would be my choice, unless you can fit 2 15's or 2 18's of course lol, how much room do you have?

My bad on the 2K power. I have 2 1000w rms @ 1 ohm amps so got some options there.

Have been looking around and run across this: YouTube - 4- Sundown Audio SA-8's

This is basically my setup except with a single 10" on each side. 1K amp for each sub (like I said they are blown)

As far as the room, I could remove the back seat and go with 3 18's but thats way more than I want to do. The set-up in the above vid looks like something I would want to do with only a pair of the SA-8's. My front end is ok for that I think.

May just have to store one of the amps or just go with the 4 8's like in the vid.

i dont know - just have to see

Thanks

Been a few days so.........

I dug the old JL 15 out and got it running on one of the z1000d @ 500w 4 ohm sealed. Not bad for a 10+ year old driver, at least i got some bass now. However, after listening to it for a while I may have to change my mind on the 8" subs and go with the 15's or 18's as mentioned above.

So far I am looking @ 2 Sundown z-18's or 2 sa-15's (which ever I have the power for / 1000w rms @ 1 ohm on each)

On another note - my front stage amp bit the dirt as well as my 8's in the doors. Replaced them with a old set of 6.5 Quarts I had. Everything running off the HU. Kinda getto but its something for now. Any suggestions for a set of 5.25 components and a set of 6.5 components to go with the Sundown subs? Set of each (kick panels 5.25 / doors 6.5 - not going back with the 8's in the doors)

Think at this point I am just going to start from scratch and go with a new build.

Think I should start a new thread or continue with this one?

So I don't have to go without again - Any other companies make drop in basket replacements like the TC's?

Found Orion, Boston, Kicker any others out there?

Plan on buying the baskets when I buy the subs.

So I don't have to go without again - Any other companies make drop in basket replacements like the TC's?
Found Orion, Boston, Kicker any others out there?

Plan on buying the baskets when I buy the subs.
add Peavy, JBL to that list. But TC is the only one that actually sells the drivers as two separate products from the get-go (top + motor in two boxes)

xmech is not how far it will travel til it bottoms out, it have far the cone can actually travel.
Actually you are both giving too general of an answer to really be correct. xmech is how far the cone/coil/suspension can travel before physical interference impedes further excursion. This can be from the coil bottoming out against the backplate (called motor limited), the spiders making contact with the basket and/or stretching to their furthest limits before tearing or the surround reaching full roll potential (called suspension limited), or any other physical obstruction in the speaker itself that limits further excursion. Im not sure what you mean by 'its how far the cone can travel' as that's too general of a statement to conclude much.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

DUAL10S

10+ year member
Senior VIP Member
DUAL10S
TX
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date