wut amp is gud?

kouji

Dear caraudio, noob here.

My current speaker setup in my MR2 is 2 unknown pioneers up front and the stock 2" filler speakers in the back and i've recently added a low profile, self amplified 10" sub. the 2 in the back are nothing terribly important for such a small cockpit. i'll upgrade those in due time but thats not what this post is about.

I've recently purchased a pair of P165 Rockford Fosgate Punch speakers. There was a great deal on Amazon as RF stuff seems to have. Not knowing too much about audio, after ordering I realize those speakers run at 55w RMS. My headunit is a DEH P500UB so a 200w 4x50w as they tend to be.

From what I've gathered, thats optimum wattage vs the deck's peak wattage so my deck isnt necessarily sufficient for those speakers and while they'll play, they start to sound crappy as you get a bit louder. Of course this not ideal.

So clearly I need an amplifier. I'm looking for something decent that would be plenty sufficient for those 2 speakers. I'd like to stick with the Rockford Fosgate brand if I can, I just dont really know what I'm looking for to be idea for what I'm working with.

What I, at first, thought to be a good option is this guy right here: Amazon.com : Rockford Fosgate R150X2 Prime 2-Channel Amplifier : Vehicle Stereo Amplifiers : Car Electronics

But that specifies 50w output per channel. Is this childs play? or RMS?

Or would I need something like this?

http://www.amazon.com/Rockford-Fosgate-PBR300X2-2-Channel-Amplifier/dp/B007AQ2WXU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1409689511&sr=8-1&keywords=pbr300x2

Because at the same time I'm trying to keep close to or under $100 if possible. Maybe that first option just kinda got me excited to it being under 100. While i say i'd like to keep with RF, thats not required.

I'm just trying to boost up some power for 2 speakers so I cant see needing a whole whole lot

Thanks for any help

-K

Edit: someone also suggested this: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-XXwMcb2nKxz/p_020XC1410/Clarion-XC1410.html

While that specifies its 50w RMS, is it safe to assume that RF I posted is 50w "RMS" as well?

Last edited by a moderator:
English? Really? I mean... I've spoke English all my life so I feel that my post was plenty understandable as far as language.

I can see where my jumbled thoughts may have gotten confusing as to the original question.

So let's ask it like this.

Will Amazon.com : Rockford Fosgate R150X2 Prime 2-Channel Amplifier : Vehicle Stereo Amplifiers : Car Electronics

Work alright with Rockford Fosgate P165 Punch 6.5-Inch 2-Way Coaxial Full-Range Speaker:Amazon:Car Electronics

If not, what is a good amp alternative for the 2 speakers I want?

Hopefully thats clear enough for you.

After some more digging I realized the RF(Rockford Fosgate) amp's rating was 2x50w RMS which I didnt originally see on amazon or the manufacturer site

well that's real fu cking constructive to my question. (also, that was sarcasm in case you couldn't tell through my english)

Why don't you just not post in this thread. Ill wait for someone elses opinion.

Thanks for the offer but id rather spend the extra 18 bucks or so on a new one.

Clearly everyone here is missing everything this post was about.

I had a question as far as technical spec compatibility or related, not how much rockford fosgate *****

I had a question as far as technical spec compatibility or related, not how much rockford fosgate *****
Either will work fine. I'd get a 4 channel though if you plan on getting rear speakers later on

Your title was a little misleading, but I had no problem following your dilemma.

The prime amp is fine.

It's nothing special, but far from junk as some would like to make it out to be -- usually in an attempt for them to justify the hundreds they've spent on expensive equipment.

The PBR amp is nice, but the main reason it's significantly more expensive is that it's extremely small. No reason to spend the extra on that particular amp unless you want to be able to install it in a glove box.

That type/power amp is extremely common. There are a LOT of good options in that price range...

Kenwood KAC-5206 Performance Series 400W 2-Channel Amplifier

Massive Audio V 500.2 500W Monoblock Volt Class AB Amplifier

Soundstream RUB2.250 Rubicon Series 250W 2-Channel Amplifier

Orion Cobalt CO3002 2-Channel Amplifier (CO-3002)

Your title was a little misleading, but I had no problem following your dilemma.The prime amp is fine.

It's nothing special, but far from junk as some would like to make it out to be -- usually in an attempt for them to justify the hundreds they've spent on expensive equipment.

The PBR amp is nice, but the main reason it's significantly more expensive is that it's extremely small. No reason to spend the extra on that particular amp unless you want to be able to install it in a glove box.

That type/power amp is extremely common. There are a LOT of good options in that price range...

Kenwood KAC-5206 Performance Series 400W 2-Channel Amplifier

Massive Audio V 500.2 500W Monoblock Volt Class AB Amplifier

Soundstream RUB2.250 Rubicon Series 250W 2-Channel Amplifier

Orion Cobalt CO3002 2-Channel Amplifier (CO-3002)
From what you recommended I can see why you would think the Rockfard amp is good.

This is negotiable btw........

From what you recommended I can see why you would think the Rockfard amp is good.
You can stop with the ***-clownery any time.

They guy's looking for a basic amp to run a basic pair of speakers. No point in spending $150 when $70-90 will get a perfectly serviceable amp.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.