WTB Fiberglass Kit or Stuff to build a fiberglass enclosure

Participant count
  • Participant list
ummm all you need to do is buy resin , hardener and whatever cloth you want to use ... wether fleece or fiberglass

also some kind of filler bondo, a putty or whatever you feel like using

ummm all you need to do is buy resin , hardener and whatever cloth you want to use ... wether fleece or fiberglass
so you dont even need accual fiberglass..you just coat the fleece in resin, then spread hardener on it then a layer of bondo then sand it down and paint it??

build a skeleton of the area i want glassed with peaks and reinforcment for the look i want, i like to use fleece to get the shape , resin that 50 grit grind then fiberglass mesh more resin and repeat, grind then duraglass in spots need, evercoat rage to even out the surface , 80 then 150 from there, prime , drysand , seal (if needed) base , then clearcoat

build a skeleton of the area i want glassed with peaks and reinforcment for the look i want, i like to use fleece to get the shape , resin that 50 grit grind then fiberglass mesh, grind then duraglass in spots need, evercoat rage to even out the surface , 80 then 150 from there, prime , drysand , seal (if needed) base , then clearcoat

Now look at the difference in those 2 quotes.

The 1st one is quite vague and if you followed what it said, you would end up with some nasty stuff.

While fleece is a decent mold material, Ponte' is better.

Here is a comparision.... http://www.fiberglassforums.com/showthread.php?t=1850

As for the mention of putty and a filler, you said Bondo. As I am sure you are aware since you work in a body shop, Bondo is a name brand and a brand that *****.

You mentioned in the 2nd quote that you use Rage. Excellent choice.

As you know, the Rage alone is $40 a gallon, fiberglass mat is $20 or so for enough to do a sub box. Resin is $30ish a gallon and you need approximatly 2 gallons depending on the enclosure size.

Now you need sand paper, wood, primer and paint or carpet.

Here is a link that has some commonly used supplies..... http://www.fiberglassforums.com/showthread.php?t=7044

As you may see, you need to be a member to view, but we have some of the most instructive and informative stickies and people willing to help you out.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.