wrx vs firebird

To clarify the Firebird/Camaro thing...
ALL Camaros and Firebirds start off as a Camaro or Firebird, and they all have steps after that...

1st Step:

Camaro or Firebird, ONLY offered with the V6 engine

2nd Step:

Z28 or Formula (NOT Formula 1), ONLY offered with the V8 engine

3rd Step:

No third step for the Camaro, third step for the Firebird is the Trans Am, which has the same V8 engine, but has the appearance package, Formulas look like V6 Firebirds, Trans Ams look like Trans Ams

4th Step:

Camaro gets no fourth step either, and the Trans Am can get the WS6 package which adds a little bit bigger sway bars and the ram air hood

5th Step:

This is the SLP optioned cars, the SS and the Firehawk. Same engine as the Z28 and Formula, just appearance mods mostly, although they do have options for some suspension work and the like.

the last SLP camaro SS was rated at something like 340 hp IIRC.....

it has to be alot more than appearance mods and suspension work to achieve that.... (I know the exhaust is done nicely, but theres gotta be some engine work, no?)

edit: yes I'm THAT considerate to post 9 times in a row like a moron..... I wish I knew how to quote multiple times in one post

They do have a few small things. The SSs have a lid (worth about 10 RWHP) and a free flowing exhaust (another 10 RWHP), but the fact of that matter is that all LS1s, whether in an F-Body or a Vette, have such varying clearances, that its easy for a baseline Z28 to outperform an SS or vica versa depending on if you get a ringer or a dud. The SLP cars get a little more power and a little better handling, but they usually also add more weight with other options, so it kind of balances out. They'll all dyno within the same range and run the same times at the track, and in the curves its more the driver than anything (but the SSs and Firehawks that were ordered with the optional SLP suspension do have an edge, except for the 1LE Camaros which were essentially factory build road race cars, but thats another story and they are very rare anyway).

And stock for stock, on a drag strip, a F-Body LS1 car will usually outrun a Vette LS1 car. Its easier to launch an F-Body with the solid rear axle instead of the Vette's independent rear suspension. On the highway, the only reason the Vette is faster is lighter weight and improved aerodynamics, so once at speed the Vette has an advantage, stock for stock. Again, if you get a ringer or a regular car can be all the difference in a Vette getting beat by a Z28 or a Formula any way you race.

Its also to be noted that the autos in these cars arent bad at all for performance. The 6-speeds have an advantage once at speed, but with a higher stall converter the autos are right there with the manual cars and can easily take them at the track.

the last SLP camaro SS was rated at something like 340 hp IIRC.....it has to be alot more than appearance mods and suspension work to achieve that.... (I know the exhaust is done nicely, but theres gotta be some engine work, no?)

edit: yes I'm THAT considerate to post 9 times in a row like a moron..... I wish I knew how to quote multiple times in one post
Not really. The F-body LS1's basically all dyno from 300-310rwhp, and 305-315rwtq. Regardless of the options.

Isnt 300rwhp more than what the mustang is rated at at the flywheel? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/up2something.gif.dd110ecf3ae4b76050d87598f2f8de7c.gif
ph_mh_bn.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.