wow, I changed the oil in my RSX...

CRXBMPN
5,000+ posts

Moe Bass
Maine
I am anal about checking my mpg when I fill up, and I seriously ran my car over the 6k limit on the synthetic oils, and when I was doing so I would get 29-31mpg. I had the local place change my oil etc etc and over the past two tanks I've gotten 35mpg and just today when I filled up 34mpg. I dont drive much over the speed limit (65-72 usually) and its all interstate driving (49m each way to work and back)... is this typical? Can this also be attributed to the fact that winter is over? My father said that cars usually get slightly lesser mpg in the winter for who knows what reasons.

Either way, if I get 2-4mpg more per tank, thats basically like getting an extra 1-1.5 gallons of gas for free just by doing my regular oil change //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif I like the sounds of that hehe.

its the K20, base 2002 RSX.

Honestly I really want to get into souping up the engine I guess, basic things as I have less than very basic engine knowledge.

I NEVERRRRRRRRRRRR play around the red line, I baby my car...

They say just by running at a constant highway speed of 60-65 mph... you save about 20% more fuel... also regular oil change reduce friction in the engine which reduces "drag" engine sludge making your internals work harder. either way.... still good //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

get the hell out of here... 6k is nothin, i let me girl use my tib for a few months and when i got it back i noticed the oil change sticker was marked for 14k ago

THATS 17,000 MILES OVER ON A HYUNDAI!!!!!!

Woman cant do sh!t right

haha i hear that, I was 13k on the oil change. maybe that had something to do with it //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif

Woman cant do sh!t right
do you tell her she cant do anything right when you are asking for a bj or a lil action? haha... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/tongue.gif.6130eb82179565f6db8d26d6001dcd24.gif

I am anal about checking my mpg when I fill up, and I seriously ran my car over the 6k limit on the synthetic oils, and when I was doing so I would get 29-31mpg. I had the local place change my oil etc etc and over the past two tanks I've gotten 35mpg and just today when I filled up 34mpg. I dont drive much over the speed limit (65-72 usually) and its all interstate driving (49m each way to work and back)... is this typical? Can this also be attributed to the fact that winter is over? My father said that cars usually get slightly lesser mpg in the winter for who knows what reasons.
Either way, if I get 2-4mpg more per tank, thats basically like getting an extra 1-1.5 gallons of gas for free just by doing my regular oil change //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif I like the sounds of that hehe.

Winter months generally have more moisture. You want a cold dense charge of air and fuel to make optimum power. Moisture takes up space in the charge that air could have. You burn the same amount of gasoline per cycle. You make less power.

People pre-start their vehicles for cabin hear in the winter, that's 0 mpg idle. That shaves off some major fuel economy. If It's running for 5-10min every day and not moving, you're throwing away a lot of mpg.

Less time to warm up the vehicle's engine. They run at optimum temp sooner (warm). Metal parts expand to optimum tolerance thus reducing friction.

Less wheel spin in summer than winter. During the winter the rubber that makes up your tires is hard and causes the vehicle to work harder. There is more tire shake, possibly out of round if frozen, moisture buildup inside the tire.

Less friction after oil change. As you change your oil over to synthetic the metal will actually absorb some of the oil. This doesn't happen over night but that's one of the advantages to synthetic. It penetrates better. Thus lubrication is superior to conventional oil. Thus lowering friction.

Hope that helps.

I change my oil every 3 thousand miles, well most of the time. I never go over more than a thousand though. I did however switch over to using synthetic Mobil 1 oil and noticed I am getting better gas mileage. Not sure how much more as of yet as I am on my 1st gas tank still.

Might have to stick with the synthetic as I get my oil changes for free. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

well i may have taken ~100lbs out of the trunk but that wouldnt equate to that much of a difference. maybe 150 lol...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.