Would polyfill help my setup?

LongThrow

My Kickers be swaggin'
Everything has just came in, a VERY budget system that I'll be making small upgrades to over a course of time. Money is very tight these days.

I'm wondering if adding polyfill to this box

Features

10-inch Single Vented Enclosure

MDF Construction

Completely Carpeted Enclosure

1-inch Speaker Baffles

Screwed Down Terminal Cups

Miter & Dado Construction with Premium Carpeted Finish Slot Vent with Black & Red Spring Loaded Terminal Cups

1.25 Cu. Ft. Air Space per Sub (Tuning - 37Hz)

(W) 16.25" x (H) 15.50" x (D) 12.00"

Would help any. Sub going in it specs are

Rockford fosgate R1S4

No reccomended ported box values are given, says to use a swaled box at .75 cf. Although the box itself says it is optimized for sealed or ported.

Using planet audio px1500m. Very cheap amp atm.

Its definitely gonna help in that box. If you do the math on that box its only 1.25 cu.ft. before woofer displacement and port displacement. By the time you put a slot port, that is tuned to 37hz. into that box their is nothing left for that woofer. So YES put about 1.5 to 3lbs. into the box. should give you 30-50% more box size. Hope this helps.

Polyfill, aka pillow stuffing, is a poor material for use in speaker enclosures. I have used it because it was the standard recommendation and I didn't know better.

Rockford's vented enclosure recommendation is printed in the installation manual. 1.4 cubes, tuned to 37 Hz. Sealed recommendation is 0.59 cubes optimal, with an acceptable range of .5 to .85 cubes. 1.25 cubes ported is a little undersized, but I doubt it will affect the sound in a way you could really notice if you have no other ported enclosure to compare it to.

that box probably wont sound very good. yould probably be better off building a sealed box (on the bigger side of things)

id personally save up and buy a custom vented box. prefabs usually dont sound very good

and you dont need polyfill if you have a quality designed/built box

apparently high end home audio doesn't know that stuffing there boxes full of poyfill is bad...//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rolleyes.gif.c1fef805e9d1464d377451cd5bc18bfb.gif

LOL!!!

apparently high end home audio doesn't know that stuffing there boxes full of poyfill is bad...//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rolleyes.gif.c1fef805e9d1464d377451cd5bc18bfb.gifLOL!!!
its cheaper than building a proper box

Doesn't do a dammn thing for ported enclosures. It makes a very small difference in sealed enclosures depending on how much you use.

I see some differing opinions. I no doubt would benefit in a custom enclosure but I've had good experiences with prefabs. And to me they didn't sound like what some of you have made it out to be.

Just an excerpt from sonicelectronix's webpage.

When Poyfill is added to your enclosure, the airspring within the box begins an isothermal process. When the air passes through the Polyfill it is scattered and dissipated by the fibers, causing the air to be less dense. The speaker then interacts with the enclosure as if it is larger than it really is, changing the sound.

Often times you’ll either build or buy an enclosure for your equipment and it will be just a tad too small. In these cases you can easily add some Polyfill to the box to increase the effectiveness of your subwoofer. As long as you are within the manufacturers suggested box volume specs, a larger enclosure is more efficient than a smaller one no matter what size the driver is. Having a large enclosure gives you more options; if your subwoofer enclosure is too small, there isn’t much you can do except build or buy a new one.

On a more negative note, too much Polyfill can prevent your speakers or sub woofers from producing audio at their full potential. Obviously overstuffing the enclosure will restrict the linear movement of the sub and make the quality of the audio sound extremely muffled. Too much also decreases the effective dampening of the speaker which would allow it to bottom out. Polyfill is also not appropriate for every application – if your enclosure is already bigger than the manufacturer suggests, polyfill isn’t needed and could actually negatively impact the sound. - end quote.

I'm gonna listen to it without fill and then add 2.25lbs of fill to see any differences.

Everyone has there own opinions, but that's just it.

Most of these guys are just here to shoot the sh..

Been doing this since the early 90's and yes your best option is to rebuild but obviously you already have a box not meant for your woofer.

So, make the best of it and then if your not happy then PM me and I'll design a box for you.

Everyone has there own opinions, but that's just it. Most of these guys are just here to shoot the sh..

Been doing this since the early 90's and yes your best option is to rebuild but obviously you already have a box not meant for your woofer.

So, make the best of it and then if your not happy then PM me and I'll design a box for you.
Don't have the money to pay for a custom box.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.