Worth saving? Old school eclipse

r0llinlacs
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Iowa
One of my old school Eclipse aluminums took a crap the other day (I was extremely lucky enough to find another on craigslist the next day), the cone came detached from the coil. I tried re-gluing it with epoxy but it didn't last but for 5 minutes with medium volumes. The cone is damaged from the coil slamming against it and it had a catastrophic failure when it fell on concrete (never set the sub on the box while cutting the hole!) and busted the basket (repaired with JB weld). Now after further inspection I've noticed it might be missing some terminals and may actually be dual voice coil, but according to the model number it's single voice coil. Did they use DVC spiders on SVC models?

Is it worth saving, repairing/reconing? Worth selling? Or should I wall socket it? The coil is still good.

Cone damaged/bent

tnIyyT6.jpg

JB weld emergency basket repair, which worked amazing! JB weld is a life saver for certain tasks.

6YODEcG.jpg

It broke right on a mounting hole. I still tightened a screw in that hole and the fix still held up fine.

0uIToDU.jpg

The bad part.

llbPZPi.jpg

Missing terminals? Or universal basket/spider?

5mFKFHT.jpg

88120.4 which I believe denotes single coil, DVCs would be 881202.4, my brother has one and that is the model number.

oz744vo.jpg

Is the the motor composed of two 7.75" X 0.75" slugs? I want to say those used a Tc Sounds TC9 motor. pretty solid little motor. Should be able to get 60-100 for it depending on condition and how bad someone wants one. Whether it's worth reconing that is up to you and the cost to re-cone really depends on how diy you are, but you are probably looking at $100 give or take $20 to recone depending on parts used and if you purchase a drop in. If you send it in it will probably be closer to $200. You will have an almost impossible time finding an OEM style aluminum cone and will probably end up with a paper cone.

that sub has had a rough life lol you were mean to it huh
I picked two of them up off craigslist for $35 for both of them... they had a rough life before me lol. I siliconed the surrounds, tightened the loose motors and all was good until this one fell on the concrete and now finally came unglued from the cone. But to answer your question.... I wasn't very nice to them either.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.