wiring sub wrong?

Participant count
  • Participant list

sam_b03
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
I was just curious about the potential damage. I have have a IDQ dvc 4ohm sub. A friend installed it in one of my cars. I moved it from that car into another. It was late and I was in a hurry. I installed it and I didn't really notice much difference in the sound from one vehicle to the other. To day I installed a SA12 4ohm in its place. When I pulled the IDQ out I noticed I wired both leads from the amp into 1 set of terminals. The jumper wire was still there connecting a + to a -. So if my understanding it correct I was running a 4ohm load on the amp but was only powering 1 of the 2 voice coils. The amp is a DSC2150 bridged=600rms at 4ohms. My charging system holds 14.4 constantly. I did have my gain turned way down. With the bass eq turned down all the way.

I followed crutchfields wiring chart for the new SA12. Amp leads wired to a + on one voice coil and - on the other and jumpered the other two remaining terminals. Now my amp is seeing an 8ohm load. I am kinda surprised by lack of spl. Both were sealed in the same box 1.25 cubes. I know this isn't a box tuned for spl but thought that it would show up the ID sub going by reviews. I am guessing the 8ohm load dropped the wattage being seen by the speaker. I think the SA wants much more power. I wasn't getting any distortion with the gain maxed and the bass EQ turned up. I did turn the down just because I am not comfortable with them set that high. I will let the speaker break in before I do much else.

I was mostly curious what the dangers were of just powering a single VC. It seemed to work for the last speaker, but it happened by accident and don't know if I just got lucky nothing bad happened, or if I could get some more power (which it seems to want) to my new speaker.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.