Wiring REM and power for multiple amps

Participant count
  • Participant list

danz24
10+ year member

Why so serious?
ON
3 amps, 2 for mids/highs and 1 for sub. I need to know how to wire the remote and power wires.

For the remote wire I read that I need a sort of relay? Or can I just splice all the REM wires together. Can I find this relay at thesource or bestbuy and what is it called?

Also, My mid amp and sub amp has 4ga and my high amp has 8ga. Is it reasonable to use a distro block in this situation and what kind. I was thinking for example a distro for my mid/high sub so 4ga+8ga > 0ga? Or just connect them all directly to the battery.

Also for the fuse on the wire, I just match it to the fuse rating on the amp right?

hope my questions make sense...

Fuses in a distro block, like the underhood fuse are there to protect the wire. The fuse shouldn't be larger than the rated current capacity of the wire coming out of that fuse. If the amp has internal fuses, you can just fuse to the size of the wire. The easiest way to run your power wire is run 1/0 or 2 ga to a distro block and then run 2 4 and 1 8 ga from there. For your remote wire, the correct way to do it is with a relay. You can get one for a few bucks at Radio Shack or any auto parts store.

Fuses in a distro block, like the underhood fuse are there to protect the wire. The fuse shouldn't be larger than the rated current capacity of the wire coming out of that fuse. If the amp has internal fuses, you can just fuse to the size of the wire. The easiest way to run your power wire is run 1/0 or 2 ga to a distro block and then run 2 4 and 1 8 ga from there. For your remote wire, the correct way to do it is with a relay. You can get one for a few bucks at Radio Shack or any auto parts store.
I think I get what to do now. I'll find the relay for the remote and my 4ga is one disto block to 0ga and 1 8ga. I'll go to the store and ask for a relay to the remote wires and they would know what to get me.

I have a small problem with matching the fuse in the distro block with the amp ones. My amps all have different fuse ratings.

90a, 60a and 40amp so how do I go about to find the right distribution block for me?

Actually I don't know if a distribution block may be all that necessary. As far as I know its purpose is to make 2 wires into 1 so when you connect it to the battery its easier to route and install. My battery is in the truck so its the wires are gonna be shorter. Can i just connect each power wire separately w/o distro blocks in my situation?

Fuses in the power wire usually aren't to protect the amp but rather the wire itself and consequently the car. If the wire shorts before the amp(like if a connection comes loose for whatever reason), the amp's fuses are of no help. That's what inline fuses are for and why they need to be as close to the battery as possible.

Ummm...Do it the ghetto way and splice three wires from it and run one to each amp. That wire isnt exactly capeable of shorting out as most amps have a maximum current they will let go through it before turning it off. Usually lessthan half an amp.

If the amps wont turn on that means you are exceeding that limit in which case you just need a relay.

You are talking about the REM wire not the power wire right? And if it is the REM you are suggesting a relay is not needed unless my amps dont turn on.

Ummm...Do it the ghetto way and splice three wires from it and run one to each amp. That wire isnt exactly capeable of shorting out as most amps have a maximum current they will let go through it before turning it off. Usually lessthan half an amp.
If the amps wont turn on that means you are exceeding that limit in which case you just need a relay.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.