Wiring Questions

Participant count
  • Participant list

dextermanx

Oregon
Hi there. I found this site when looking up info for subs and amps (this one being on the first page 1/2 the time). I'm new to the site, but not exactly new to the car audio scene.

I am getting one of my first REAL sub-woofer setups and I was just curious as to how I should go about wiring it. (so I don't end up ruining something //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif)

Im going to be installing a 15" MA Audio Hardkore sub (5,000 RMS / 10,000 Max) and a 2000W Powerbass amp (Powerbass ASA 1000.1DX, I believe).

First question is, do I need to re-wire my car for this? I was told that instead of a cap, I just needed to re-wire my system to 4-gauge (including my amp, battery, and alternator). I am currently running 8-gauge. If i need to re-wire, I plan on having it done professionally.

Second question, how to wire the sub (which is DVC) to the amp (which is Monoblock)? What gauge wire should I use for that?

I know I'll end up having more questions, but in the mean time, whatever help you guys could give would be great. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Never heard of such subs so i cant say anyhting about them, the amp you can get something much better quality for the price those go for. As for the wiring i am tell you this right now once your power range hits the 1000's 0 gauge is almost required around here. If this sub really is 5000rms and you decide to buy a good amp that is up there start saving up money because multiple batteries and HO alternators are needed. The amp to sub wire 12-16 gauge is fine but the get what you can fit in the amp and sub. For the actual wiring diagram we need to know the ohms the sub is is it D2 or D4 voice coils?

I had planned on getting rewired anyways, just needed a second opinion. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif Out of curiosity, what would be the problem if I rewired with 4-gauge? I'm not looking for a system that blows out windows a block down, just want to rattle em a bit. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/cool.gif.3bcaf8f141236c00f8044d07150e34f7.gif//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/naughty.gif.94359f346c0f1259df8038d60b41863e.gif

And if D2 means Dual 2 ohm, then I'm not sure what to say. It says that it is a Quad 1.3 Ohm (which i have a hard time believing), so D2 is probably correct.

Thanks for the quick response!

You wont be getting the current flow needed to support that power. Think of it like a river filling a ****. You have a tiny river(your wire) and a big ****(your amp) the river can only take so much water so therefor this **** will never be filled. In other words your amp will not see the current flow it needs. Now you have a big river filling the same **** itll fill up quick and to its potential. Get it? Now make sure you do the big 3 with 1/0 gauge and dont cheap out on your wiring bite the bullet and buy ofc 1/0 gauge. Get it from ebay its bought by the foot. Sky high car audio and KNUkonceptz, are just some for example it cost roughly $4 per foot.

As for your sub wiring do you have a link to your specific model because the only one i could find is this MA Audio HK15X2 (HK15-x2) 15" Dual 2 ohm Hard Kore Car Subwoofer

And thats only 2k rms? But it is d2 (dual 2 ohm) so you can wire it to a final impedance of 1 ohm so look for an amp that is 1 ohm stable.

**MA AUDIO HARD KORE 15" SUBWOOFER**10,000 WATTS/5,000RMS**BRAND NEW

This is the only thing online that I can find that will give you enough info. Anything else is just forums with people not sure what to think because they don't know much about it. :}

As for the wiring, I only ask about the 4-gauge because a friend had some that he gave to me (Stinger HPM Series and plenty for my car), so I thought I would just use that. Plus, I'm going to be selling this car in the next six months, so I didn't want to put so much money into something I wont have long.

I actually hooked up my amp and sub yesterday without any wiring upgrades and I think I almost popped a window seal. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

(P.S. Have any good deals on battery clamps for when I rewire?)

upgrade your wiring before you cook your amp. You have to make sure you have ample current supply to avoid heating things up. 4 ga would only be a temporary option if you are looking to sell your car. in order for that sub to do waht it says you will have to upgrade to a much bigger amp and 4 ga will not be nearly enough.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.