wiring question

Participant count
  • Participant list

88taurus

hey guys I was wondering if you could give me your take on what is going on. I have two 15 inch SPL w15's which have dual one ohm voice coils and two pyramid 1600w amps bridged, one to each 15, they were playing fine for about two days until i moved them around, now when i get the volume passed 8, they'll cut out and i have to turn my deck off and back on again, i was wondering the best way to wire the subs so that they wont shut off, my amps are 2 ohm stereo stable, but i read that 4 ohm minimum impedeance it was put in the corner of the page that shows you how to bridge subs.If you guys could give me a little help that would be great.

The first question is how do you have those subs wired. If you have them wired pos to pos and neg to neg on the voice coils then you have those amps running in 1/2 ohm. that is if those subs are 1ohm VC's. I didnt know those spl's came in with 1ohm VC. Those amps will not run like that. I think those particular subs are 2ohm DVC. If so, ten if you got the amps running in bridged mode with the pos and pos and neg to neg Going to the amp, you are still running it at 1ohm load. Which those amps will not run either. The only way to get those amps to stop shutting down is to hook the subs up in series. Doing this will cut the power down going to the subs from the amps but it will keep them from shutting down all the time. Also, I ain't trying to down your equipment, but you got some awesome subs and some not so strong amps. Please reply and I will help you get this worked out.

yeah the spl w series come in dual 1 ohm voice coils, so i have them hooked up using only one voice coil. i had a wire going from one pos to the other neg, and the amps never shut down on me. which makes the sub wired in series right? I have the subs wired pos to pos and neg to neg going to the amps. I was thinking of putting one voice coil to one side channel of the amp and the other voice coil to the other channel. if anyone has any ideas i sure as hell am open to tryin them out.

when the company says that an amplifier is 2-ohm stereo stable, that means that it will handle 2-ohm in stereo (two channel) mode. from what you say, the amps are bridged in series, which make the subs 2-ohm. you can't run that amp, or many 2-channel amps for that matter, at 2-ohm bridged. i think your problem is that the amps are overheating, but i might have taken the info you gave me the wrong way.

Yea the way you got them will not run right. If you run the speakers in series and keep the amp running in stereo, you will get more out of the amp. And only run one amp for both subs. I still say you need to get a better line of amps. The speakers are dual one ohm then you need an amp that can run a one ohm sub. I am not much on Aidiobahn amps, but they are some powerful amps when ran in the lower loads. Also you get what you pay for. The audiobahn amps are higher, but you get a hell of a bang for your buck. Even getting a Fosgate amp will be helpful to you. I know the fosgate amps aren't rated for running in lower loads, but I have a 1000bd running in a 1 ohm load and it never gets hot or shuts off. Although it does void the warranty. I dont care though. My **** is hitting and winning competions like you wouldnt believe.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.