Wiring My Subs to Terminals In My Box, Help Please :)

Participant count
  • Participant list

SpeeDFX
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
sorry, I posted this in the subwoofer forum instead of here, anyway..

I built my box this afternoon; finally after all this waiting around. Anyway, I have 2 terminal cups and my box is a two-chamber box for both my shivas. They are going to be powered by one 1200.1. I have a few questions as to how I go about the wiring process...

What guage wire do I use to wire the voice coils and wire them to the terminals?

I believe the shivas are each dual 8ohm voice coils. I want to run each sub at 4 ohms, how do I wire the voice coils?

I'm pretty sure the best method to connect the wires is solder but I am not sure. Is it? If it IS, then what grade of solder should I use, and what Soldering technique should I use?

Thanks //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Chris

since ur subs are 8ohm DVC, and you want 4 ohms total for each sub, wire each sub in parallel. ( - to -, n + to +)

this link should help you better, it has pics //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/2002home/

if it doesnt' go straight to the wiring section, just go to RF tech, n it should be there.

i am not sure how much the shivas handle, but i think a hell lot of power, so i would prob say 12 gauge. if not much power you can prob go with 14 gauge. see what other ppl say, and the one that ppl agree with the most, go with that one. :p

oops, dont' wire it the way i told u. just go to the website n go to RF tech, Woofer Wiring Wizard. it's all there, have fun

use 8 awg...

better safe then sorry, and its not that expensive...

wire it this way..

in each cahmber... - wire your pos and negs togetehr,,,,

then run the wire out to the respective terminals...

then run your amps pos. to the pos on both terminals...

and the same with teh neg...

you are confusing me //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif. I thought parallel was connecting the positives to eachother and the negatives to eachother, not positive to negative. Which one is it?

Originally posted by Wonderbread use 8 awg...

better safe then sorry, and its not that expensive...

wire it this way..

in each cahmber... - wire your pos and negs togetehr,,,,

then run the wire out to the respective terminals...

then run your amps pos. to the pos on both terminals...

and the same with teh neg...
8guage speaker wire?? 12guage is MORE than enough for anything below 10,000 watts or so.

Originally posted by SpeeDFX you are confusing me //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif. I thought parallel was connecting the positives to eachother and the negatives to eachother, not positive to negative. Which one is it?
parallel = positive to positive, negative to negative. will give you a 4 ohm load

series = one positive to the amp, one negative to the amp, and the remaining positive and negative together. will give you a 16 ohm load, not what you want

Originally posted by rco8786 8guage speaker wire?? 12guage is MORE than enough for anything below 10,000 watts or so.
*sigh*

i like 8 awg... it cant hurt...

but yes it is excessive, but its car audio, isnt that the point?! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif lol.

and yes, sorry about my wiring instructions,. they were off, i was looking at my diagram wrong..

my bad..

wire each sub in this fashion... - to -, and post - pos...

then, wire the negs of each sub to the enmg cahnnel, and the pos's to the pos cahnnel, my mistake...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.