Wiring mids and highs? Pa mids and tweets

Participant count
  • Participant list

kicker
10+ year member

GIT-R-DONE
auburn ne
Alright so I'm wanting to upgrade from my current mb quart onx-216s components, to a set of ct sounds pro audio 6.5s tropo series, and a set of their pro audio tweets. Current hu is a sony mex-100bt 40w rms x 4, but im kinda lost on what to do for crossovers and what not I have a couple amps I could use also, zapco reference 200.2 or an sony xm-4045 bridged to two channels.

tweeters have a passive filter attached and was thinking of running them off the hu, and the mids either off the rear channels or off one of the above amps but the amps have limited crossovers, but do I need to bandpass the mids or can I just get away with the hpf on the hu? I really don't want to spend $250-300 on an deh-80prs just to have the active crossovers stuff but it might be the best option? What would you do?

Alright so I'm wanting to upgrade from my current mb quart onx-216s components, to a set of ct sounds pro audio 6.5s tropo series, and a set of their pro audio tweets. Current hu is a sony mex-100bt 40w rms x 4, but im kinda lost on what to do for crossovers and what not I have a couple amps I could use also, zapco reference 200.2 or an sony xm-4045 bridged to two channels.tweeters have a passive filter attached and was thinking of running them off the hu, and the mids either off the rear channels or off one of the above amps but the amps have limited crossovers, but do I need to bandpass the mids or can I just get away with the hpf on the hu? I really don't want to spend $250-300 on an deh-80prs just to have the active crossovers stuff but it might be the best option? What would you do?
order something else, its not gonna work without an active capable head unit. a cheap 80 dollar JVC 340bts would do just fine.

order something else, its not gonna work without an active capable head unit. a cheap 80 dollar JVC 340bts would do just fine.
Shouldn't my mex-100bt headunit do the same and more than the jvc? It's got hpf/lpf time alignment octave ajustments and what not,? Just doesn't have a bandpass type crossover like an 80prs

Shouldn't my mex-100bt headunit do the same and more than the jvc? It's got hpf/lpf time alignment octave ajustments and what not,? Just doesn't have a bandpass type crossover like an 80prs
No your sony is a basic head unit with zero crossover functions.

The JVC is 3 way network capable and has more EQ bands. Literally the only thing the sony has over it is the 40 watts x 4 internal amp and 5 volt pre-out vs 4 with the jvc. Otherwise the Jvc outright destroys that sony in terms of actual audio tuning capability.

The 80 prs is not the only active capable head unit on the market dude. PS all the crossovers you talk about its called running active aka active networks.

There is ZERO chance you should ever run super tweets and pro audio mids without going active if you even moderately want something decent sounding. Otherwise its just gonna sound like complete sh*t at higher volumes. The included crossover for all super tweeters is pretty trash. In order to make super tweeters sound like silk domes, you need a MUCH higher crossover point and a MUCH steeper slope. The included crossovers are usually 5000khz at -12 db which is trash because super tweeters generally have an extremely harsh peak at 5000-8000hz. Usually requires a 10khz at -18 db slope to tame. PA mids usually play a lot higher than SQ style mids so you'll have mids playing tweeter frequencies, you definitely need a mid low pass to prevent that as well. Things the sony you have is not ever capable of.

Your current option is to return the PA mids and get a set of bi ampable components like a rockford t2 set and use both amps OR swap the head unit and run active using both amps. 4 channel briged to the mids 2 channel for the tweeter.

these are the JVC's crossover functions

jazcJ7.jpg

Ok I'll look into that jvc then, I kno the pioneer isn't the only unit that's capable I usually run pioneer so that's why I had it in mind, but I'm new to this stuff with pro audio and active crossover ****, I've read into it a few different times but still don't fully understand all of it..

No your sony is a basic head unit with zero crossover functions.
The JVC is 3 way network capable and has more EQ bands. Literally the only thing the sony has over it is the 40 watts x 4 internal amp and 5 volt pre-out vs 4 with the jvc. Otherwise the Jvc outright destroys that sony in terms of actual audio tuning capability.

The 80 prs is not the only active capable head unit on the market dude. PS all the crossovers you talk about its called running active aka active networks.

There is ZERO chance you should ever run super tweets and pro audio mids without going active if you even moderately want something decent sounding. Otherwise its just gonna sound like complete sh*t at higher volumes. The included crossover for all super tweeters is pretty trash. In order to make super tweeters sound like silk domes, you need a MUCH higher crossover point and a MUCH steeper slope. The included crossovers are usually 5000khz at -12 db which is trash because super tweeters generally have an extremely harsh peak at 5000-8000hz. Usually requires a 10khz at -18 db slope to tame. PA mids usually play a lot higher than SQ style mids so you'll have mids playing tweeter frequencies, you definitely need a mid low pass to prevent that as well. Things the sony you have is not ever capable of.

Your current option is to return the PA mids and get a set of bi ampable components like a rockford t2 set and use both amps OR swap the head unit and run active using both amps. 4 channel briged to the mids 2 channel for the tweeter.

these are the JVC's crossover functions

jazcJ7.jpg
Ok I didn't see all of this the first time lol, this helps a bunch more, I didn't see this detailed of an discription on the jvc either that makes a lot more sense now and what I am needing.

Ok I didn't see all of this the first time lol, this helps a bunch more, I didn't see this detailed of an discription on the jvc either that makes a lot more sense now and what I am needing.
always check the unit on crutchfield on the details section, they actually go through every feature of the head unit pretty well. Way more than the manufacturers bother to list on the manufacturer's website.

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-V0mf0j05p1V/p_105KDX340B/JVC-KD-X340BTS.html

btw this is not a real jvc, kenwood's got their hands on it after buying out JVC so its kenwood quality all over it rather than the typical garbage jvc units but its still priced like a jvc. Real budget gem.

Ok, seems like my best option while still keeping it cheap as possible lol, I can throw my sony in my sisters car since it needs a new stereo anyways. Thanks for your help I appreciate it.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.