Wiring for 2 amps and a distro block

Participant count
  • Participant list

TheUnderFighter
10+ year member

Beer Addict
So I'm getting ready to take that step into the big world. Getting a nasty mono amp for my subs and using the ole 4 channel for the speakers...

SO, I currently have 8g wire running to a "1000W" Nitro >.

Now I'm looking to upgrade to something like a true 1000W mono amp, which is suggested to be 4g wiring... How far does that 4g wire stay recommended til? Is it still ok at 1200W? 1500W?

ALSO, I will now be needing a (fused) distro block. So am I correct in assuming I should run 1/0g wire from the bat to the distro, then run my 4 & 8 gauge wire from there? Yes? Keeping in mind I'm on a very tight budget, will I be able to just have a couple feet of the 1/0g wire from the bat and mount the distro in the engine compartment? Or am I supposed to run the 1/0 all the way to the back and mount there? and where do I need to fuse with what size fuses?

Basically I need to know if I need to buy a 4awg wiring kit and just a couple feet of 1/0 wire? Or a 1/0 kit and a couple feet of 4awg wire, or something else? Just try to help and answer where you can gang! thanks in advance! Let me know if I need to clear anything else up, I know this is kinda scatter brained.

I think either will be fine, running a few feet of 0 gauge or a whole run to the back then 4 gauge. You can even run two runs of 4 gauge from the batt to the amps. But the only thing I worry about when running a distro block under the hood is to make sure no metal is showing from the distro block.

You should check out knukonceptz website for wire, it might be cheaper than buying 2 wire kits if you go with the 2 runs of 4 gauge. Just buy the rca's, enough power wire, ground wire and remote and take about a foot or less and connect it between both amps so both can be on:) If that makes sense.

As for fuses, if you're running a 1000 watt amp, You should be fine with anything above 80 to 100 if i'm not mistaken. You can probably just search this in google. LMK if you need anything else. Hope this helps.

Very helpful, thank you. So I'm not gonna experience any real power loss by running the gauge most the way? Would it be beneficial to run 1/0 all the way to the back, or not particularly necessary?

And I am thinking about just making 2 runs from the battery as well... not a bad idear.

If you plan on upgrading anytime in the future, i'd do a couple runs of 0 gauge. You'll save time and money, trust me.

But if not, it'll be fine with the power you're running.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.