wiring different ohm coils together ?

Participant count
  • Participant list

A Zombies Minge
10+ year member

I have a mono amp that is .5 ohm stable. I just got two 12's cheap and want to hook them up in my car. The problem is that one of the speakers is SVC 4 ohm and the other one is dual 4 ohm coil. What would be my best wiring option?

I was thinking wire the dvc to 8 ohms and then running it in series with the svc.

Only run the dual 4 ohm. Wire it in parallel. Mixing and matching subs will actually have LESS output than 2 different subs. The reason is, we increase SPL by decreasing cancellation. That's why different boxes make the biggest difference. It's why from vehicle to vehicle there are huge differences even when the same equipment is used. 2 subs that are not identical will cancel each other. Have someone who knows what their doing make a great box for 1 of those subs. Only run 1. You will be sorry if you don't take this advice.

are they different brand subs, or just different coil config?
if they are different brand dont mix them.
Doesn't matter. Either way it's a bad idea even if the subs are the same brand and model. One is fixed 4 ohm. The other is 2 or 8 ohm. Now, we know that the resistance determines which gets more power. So, the two subs can never get the same amount of power at the same time. This leads to massive cancellation.

I will just have to get another amp. The dvc is a JL 12w3v1-d4 and the svc is a Lexon(never heard of it and cant find any info on it). Appreciate the input, thanks for such a quick response.

I will just have to get another amp. The dvc is a JL 12w3v1-d4 and the svc is a Lexon(never heard of it and cant find any info on it). Appreciate the input, thanks for such a quick response.
It won't solve anything. Cancellation is acoustic, not electrical. Once you introduce those two woofers into the same space, the second one will always be cancelling out the first one. One will always be louder than two in this case.

Have someone who knows what their doing make a great box for 1 of those subs. Only run 1. You will be sorry if you don't take this advice.
I know how to build a good box. The subs are each in their own single chamber, the JL has 1.75ft^3 internal volume and the other has 1.25ft^3 internal volume. Both boxes are sealed since I am more into SQ than SPL.

It won't solve anything. Cancellation is acoustic, not electrical. Once you introduce those two woofers into the same space, the second one will always be cancelling out the first one. One will always be louder than two in this case.
Okay, I get what your saying. I guess I will just have to sell the Lexon and buy another JL

Now you've introduced even more cancellation, as different boxes sizes effect how the subwoofer performs. What kind of amp do you have? (What is it stable to)?

.5 ohm stable, I have the power to back it (not that I need for one JL) with a 160 amp alt., yellow top under the hood and 2x kinetics in the trunk. My power set up was for 2x JL W7 12, but I now have to make this car my dd which my daughter rides in so I want to tone it down and just fill in the lows.

Good to know, I thought it was .5 ohm stable. Guess its good I never wired it that low. lol

For now I will just run it at 2 ohms with dvc 12. Thanks again for all the help. Maybe I should look for a user manual for my amp.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.