Wiring a DVC sub...

Participant count
  • Participant list

StanJarensky

Hi, everyone! I'm looking at purchasing the Kicker 40CWRT82 subwoofer. It's a dual 2 ohm voice coil sub. I plan on hooking it up to my Rockford Fosgate R600X5 amplifier. The amp can run at 2 or 4 ohm but since the rest of my speakers are 2 ohm, I'd prefer to keep the sub at 2 ohm. How would I wire the sub's coils up to get a final impedance of 2 ohm? Thanks //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

yes but you will have to wire to 4 ohm as that's what the amp is rated for
I haven't hooked the amp up yet, I've been waiting to get the sub before I do it. My speakers are Infinity Kappa 60.11CS, eight in total. Four woofers and four tweeters. They're rated at about 90W @ 2 ohm RMS. So would having them running off the four channels on the amp at 2 ohm and having the sub run off of the fifth channel at 4 ohm be possible? Are there any compatibility issues here?

I haven't hooked the amp up yet, I've been waiting to get the sub before I do it. My speakers are Infinity Kappa 60.11CS, eight in total. Four woofers and four tweeters. They're rated at about 90W @ 2 ohm RMS. So would having them running off the four channels on the amp at 2 ohm and having the sub run off of the fifth channel at 4 ohm be possible? Are there any compatibility issues here?
I don't believe there are compatibility issues.. The five channel amp is like three separate amps in one package, two bridgeable stereo amps and a mono amp for sub output. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

If you're set on that sub and want to get the most out of your amp get the dual 1 ohm model and wire the coils in series for a 2 ohm final load:

edit: I linked you the 10", here's the 8" - http://www.crutchfield.com/p_2064CWRT81/Kicker-40CWRT81.html

Here's how you'd wire it:

1_1ohm_dvc_2ohm.gif

I don't believe there are compatibility issues.. The five channel amp is like three amps in one package, two bridgeable stereo amps and a mono amp for sub output. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
If you're set on that sub and want to get the modt out of your amp get the dual 1 ohm model and wire the coils in series for a 2 ohm final load:

Kicker 40CWRT101 CompRT shallow-mount 10" subwoofer with dual 1-ohm voice coils at Crutchfield.com

(It's out of stock at Crutchfield atm)
Well I'm not completely decided on the Kicker. The other sub I was considering was the Infinity Reference 860w which is a normal 'length' subwoofer, single voice coil @ 4 ohm. The shallow would be much easier to accommodate in my car's stock sub box which is an 8-inch shallow box which is why I started reconsidering. However, the other model is a 10 inch as I'm sure you know so it's no good for my car. I'm trying to keep it as stock looking as possible.

If there truly aren't any compatibility issues with using 2ohm speakers across two bridged channels and using a 4ohm subwoofer on the fifth channel, then I'll just go that route.

Well I'm not completely decided on the Kicker. The other sub I was considering was the Infinity Reference 860w which is a normal 'length' subwoofer, single voice coil @ 4 ohm. The shallow would be much easier to accommodate in my car's stock sub box which is an 8-inch shallow box which is why I started reconsidering. However, the other model is a 10 inch as I'm sure you know so it's no good for my car. I'm trying to keep it as stock looking as possible.
If there truly aren't any compatibility issues with using 2ohm speakers across two bridged channels and using a 4ohm subwoofer on the fifth channel, then I'll just go that route.
I missed that it was the 10" I linked you, I fixed it while you were typing. Crutchfield carries the same 8", but 1ohm DVC:

Kicker 40CWRT81 CompRT shallow-mount 8" subwoofer with dual 1-ohm voice coils at Crutchfield.com

Hooking up a 4ohm load will net you 200W RMS as opposed to 300. It's not a massive difference, but it does leave 1/3rd of the power on the table.

I missed that it was the 10" I linked you, I fixed it while you were typing. Crutchfield carries the same 8", but 1ohm DVC:
Kicker 40CWRT81 CompRT shallow-mount 8" subwoofer with dual 1-ohm voice coils at Crutchfield.com

Hooking up a 4ohm load will net you 200W RMS as opposed to 300. It's not a massive difference, but it does leave 1/3rd of the power on the table.
Alright, cool, thank you. Since they're the same price and the final ohm shouldn't really matter, what sub would you get in my position?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.