Wire Guage for Amp.

Participant count
  • Participant list

95BlackGA
5,000+ posts

CarAudio.com Veteran
Missouri
I am getting an MA Audio HK1998 and it says it's rated at 1200WRMS @ 2 ohms, and I was wondering if a 4 guage amp kit was adequate for this amp? I have one that has been unopened and just been collecting dust, so I figure I might as well use it. Would this wire be big enough to run this amp? Thanks!

I know it doesn't hurt to go bigger, but with the 4 guage just lying around, I figured if it would work, it would save me time to get some money saved for some new Knu wire. I figure I can go ahead and use this 4 guage amp kit, save some money and get some 1/0 and just use the 4 guage run to power a component amp when I decide which one I am getting.

It depends on the length. There's a good chance the fuseholder in your 4 gauge kit is just an AGU fuseholder with an 80A fuse.And BTW, you are REALLY pushing it.If you're making a 18-20ft. run I'd step up to 2 or 1/0 gauge.

All you'll end up doing is popping the fuse more than likely.

The run is only going to be around 10Ft. so is the stretching it too far? I can probably fine some 2guage, but I don't know if I have it for sure or not. Sometime in June I'm getting about 200Ft. of 1/0 from a friend, for a pretty good price. (About 50-75 cents a foot) I'll just run the 4guage and see what it does, and if it works, I'll use it 'til then and just do a run of 1/0.

BTW - The gains are going to be set all the way down, 'cause the subs I am getting are just 450WRMS so I doubt I'll even come close to seeing the 1200WRMS and I'm not even sure if the amp actually produces 1200WRMS and not just 900-1000WRMS.

The MA amps tend to be a little overrated but not by much. I would expect that you will get at least 1000 Wrms out of your amp. I don't see a problem with running that amp on 4 awg for only a 10 ft run. You should not burn the wire or pop fuses providing you supply the right size fuse. Make sure your gains are set properly. The gain is only a voltage regulator and is based on the volume of your HU. At different volume levels you will get different amounts of power from the amp, so turning it all the way down may not be the best way to get the sound you want out of the install, just set your gains with the DMM and the volume at 3/4th the way up.

The MA amps tend to be a little overrated but not by much. I would expect that you will get at least 1000 Wrms out of your amp. I don't see a problem with running that amp on 4 awg for only a 10 ft run. You should not burn the wire or pop fuses providing you supply the right size fuse. Make sure your gains are set properly. The gain is only a voltage regulator and is based on the volume of your HU. At different volume levels you will get different amounts of power from the amp, so turning it all the way down may not be the best way to get the sound you want out of the install, just set your gains with the DMM and the volume at 3/4th the way up.
I agree with everything said, but the gain setting part. The only reason why you would have to set the gains with the volume at 3/4 is if that is at peak performance with out any distortion. Some headunits can go full volume with peak perfomance, and not distort, other can't even go up to 1/2, it all depends on the settings that are at peak performance without distorting, and the best way to set the gains with a DMM is to put the headunit at your MAX normal listening volume, as long as it isn't distorting, and with your EQ set to normal listening curves, because if you add bass from the headunit, you're just giving a slightly more distorted signal.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.