Will upgrading my battery while keeping my stock alt help my situation?

I hear the alternator handles almost 100% of electrical when the engine is on. If the alternator runs almost 100% of the electrical when running then what do i get out of upgrading JUST my battery?

Is it worth it to just upgrade my battery alone? I am trying to run a Skar ZVX-18. Thats 1500 RMS and yes, i know Skar is underated.

I would be upgrading to a 900cca Optima yellow top.

Thankyou.

no on the Optima yellow top.

dont buy optima.

there are better batterys cheaper then that.

if your batterys is good then no,

if your battery is showing signs of going bad, then yes

and you did not say what your total rms power is.

So, you're saying the battery matters when the vehicle is running?

if so can you quickly just recommend me a batt that would allow me to run that RMS without upgrading the alt.

Cars a 2004 Mustang.

look up your group size battery and try to find a quality AGM.

sams club sells duracell AGMs dual post for cheap if you can find one in your group size

---------- Post added at 02:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:16 PM ----------

So, is upgrading the alt the only real way of getting more power when the engine is running?
no, adding batteries helps. but if you keep adding batteries and have a stock alternator you'll never be able to fully charge the batts and will always be running off batteries because the alt is charging the batts the entire time

you need both for it to balance out

I run 6k on a stock alt. I'm eventually getting a HO alt and removing some batteries but it actually works well.

I have a northstar 34/78 under the hood and 4 Northstar G31s in the back. Of course I also have a 135a stock alt.

listen to these guys, im pushing at most 1800 RMS.... and i went the soendy way and bought the Yellowtop battery, and the DC HO alts, and i feel like there is no difference..... just 600$ more broke, lights still dim and all, there literally wasnt anything noticable when i installed these

listen to these guys, im pushing at most 1800 RMS.... and i went the soendy way and bought the Yellowtop battery, and the DC HO alts, and i feel like there is no difference..... just 600$ more broke, lights still dim and all, there literally wasnt anything noticable when i installed these
If you have an agm batt as well as an aftermarket alt and are still experiencing dimming, something isn't right. Your voltage should not be dropping below 14v.

XS is arguably the best. You can get good batteries for less money, but if you can get a good deal, go for it.

If I had unlimited money, I'd run all XS batteries

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.