Will This Amp Work?

CannMann21
10+ year member

BC
i recently just bought a car and it came with a 12" MTX sub in a single bassworx box. it is being powered by a Sony Xplod 1200w 2/1 channel amp xm 2200gtx. now i have 2 12" alpine type r's sitting in my room and i want to make a switch. i want to take the mtx sub out that is currently in my car, and then put ONE (not both) type r sub in for now anyway.

my questions is, will that amp be enough to power just one type R? what about two?

EDIT: the type r's are dual 2's

Last edited by a moderator:
Sure y9ou can out them em there- both. May not be enough power to really get them to knock, but they'll play bass

I had an explode and it pushed 2 old mtx 12's pretty good. But I wasn't going for mega bass either and subs only took 200w/pc

if i were to sell the amp, what should i get to power just one type R? and then 2?

im kinda tight on money right now as im in school and not working nearly as much. so thats why id prefer just to keep the amp and switch the sub out, as long as it can push it well. if it is garbage though, i want to know. i dont know much about car audio.

First decide if you want to run 1 or 2 subs. Then you will know how much power you need. Then you can determine if you need to upgrade your electrical, etc. You'll have a more realistic idea of what to budget $$ wise. In the meantime, you can swap out the MTX for the Type RRrrrrrr.....should be good for another 50db. lol Seriously, you can use the stuff you have until you save enough money to buy something better. Then hock your old stuff in the classifieds. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

I've seen the Walmart Special Xplod (what you have) do some pretty good work for what it is...//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

First decide if you want to run 1 or 2 subs. Then you will know how much power you need. Then you can determine if you need to upgrade your electrical, etc. You'll have a more realistic idea of what to budget $$ wise. In the meantime, you can swap out the MTX for the Type RRrrrrrr.....should be good for another 50db. lol Seriously, you can use the stuff you have until you save enough money to buy something better. Then hock your old stuff in the classifieds. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif
I've seen the Walmart Special Xplod (what you have) do some pretty good work for what it is...//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif
im only running 1 for now so i dont have to buy a new box. plus i will get to test the type r out and see if i want to add a second one or not. then if i feel an amp upgrade is necessary i will look into it, but for now, what i have will work.

Are u still using the sony? I had a 4 channel bridged to run 2x300@4ohms or something like that. The mono amps should run at 2 ohms.

yeah the sony is still hooked up. i havent got anything else because i dont know what to buy and obviously ill need different amps depending on 1 or 2 type r's. so first im just going to switch the mtx out and put one type r in and go from there.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.