Will these subwoofers work together?

zasheik

I just bought 2 JL Audio 15W0's off of craigslist for dirt cheap. When i looked at them they were in the box and working. It wasn't until i got home, pulled them out and put a meter to them did i find out that one of the sub-woofers was a 4ohm and the other was a 8ohm.

I went to my local audio store and he told me that i was better off re-selling them, together or separate, and starting over because i would require a second amplifier. Of course then he led me over to his "favorite" sub and amp combo and told me that it was the top selling product and my best choice.

Frankly, i have heard nothing but good reviews of this old yet wonderful sub model from JL. And considering how cheap i got them from an old friend, i figured it might be worth buying an extra amp since i will get more bump out of this compared to a pair of 12's for the same price. I'd practically be breaking even, and that's if i could even sell these old subs.

This is my first system and i know some, but not a whole lot so any help or tips is well appreciated. Basically my question is, do you think it would be worth it?

so, you verified that they are d4, and d2 right at the sub terminals, right? not 2 d4 subs with one coil off of one? you really should have them matched. even with a separate amp on each, you are not going to get them to sync up well. one thing i have done for a friend that ran into the same issue, while i was putting them in the freshly built custom upholstered box, was run series-parrallel through both subs turning it inot a dingle dual 6ohm load. seriesed one coil from one sub to one coil from the other, and repaeated. then bridged them down to 3ohm mono, and, believe it or not, they actually had the same output to the naked eye/ear. that was the only combination that worked. told her to try and sell at least one to get the match, or sell both and get a pair of matched subs. well, she still runs them hard a year later.......

I would build a homemade box out of 3/4mdf for the one 4 ohm sub and run it alone until you can afford a good pair,prob sound better than what you have now im sure.I think one sub in a 3/4mdf box ported will sound pretty good ,for now.. mdf by the sheet at home depot or lowes cant be more than 30.oo.It will be a better box than the ones usually bought.I like the REsubs for the price.Take your time and decide what you intend to do in the vehicle an go from there,ans use what you have for now,what you dont need get rid of it or donate it to someone in need having another amp on a different sub will cause a difference in sound,and would be hitting out of fase inwhich can create kaos in the sound field/distorition ect.Just try the one 4ohm for now,and build a good tight sealed box for it,and play for a while ..you may even want to port it laterw a 3in port yuo can do yourself also w pvc pipe and tone it yourself.

I would build a homemade box out of 3/4mdf for the one 4 ohm sub and run it alone until you can afford a good pair,prob sound better than what you have now im sure.I think one sub in a 3/4mdf box ported will sound pretty good ,for now.. mdf by the sheet at home depot or lowes cant be more than 30.oo.It will be a better box than the ones usually bought.I like the REsubs for the price.Take your time and decide what you intend to do in the vehicle an go from there,ans use what you have for now,what you dont need get rid of it or donate it to someone in need having another amp on a different sub will cause a difference in sound,and would be hitting out of fase inwhich can create kaos in the sound field/distorition ect.Just try the one 4ohm for now,and build a good tight sealed box for it,and play for a while ..you may even want to port it laterw a 3in port yuo can do yourself also w pvc pipe and tone it yourself.
:wow:se-huh?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.