Why not 24 volt??

bumpasauras
10+ year member

Always Hurtin Ears!!
Ok so I am an oilfield mechanic and in my line of work I come into contact with 24 volt alts off of large industrial engines all the time. So I got to thinking, with the availability of 24 volt alts and the ease of wiring 2 12 volt bats to 24 volt why have amp manufactures not done 24 volt amps?? It just seems logical to add a 2nd alt isolated system @ 24 volts. Some of these alts are 600 amps . My second thought was that since there are no amps (that I know of) that will take 24v why not build a really tough external regulator that you could run at 18v or 16v is this possible??

Surley some one has thought of this. I have a pile of them at work and have been trying to come up with a use for them.. Any help on this would be awsome it's just a shame to send these 500 and 600 amp alts to the scrap yard.

Helll ill give a few of them to anybody that can solve this problem.

I have a few 48 volt Deka forklift batteries, they only weigh about 2800 pounds each //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

The cool thing about running at 24V is you don't need as much amperage (wattage = voltage x amperage)... 600A at 24V would be a helluva reserve! Equiv to about 1000A on a typical "12V" setup. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

^^^^exactly what I was thinking only problem is the amp selection is sparse at best. I am currently working with a friend of mine who is an electrical engineer to make a stand alone voltage regulator that will have a potentiometer so you can actually dial in your voltage.

The plan is to regulate the voltage down to 18v which of course opens up amp selection tremendously.

I am not a electrical engineer but this thing will have to be fool proof before I trust any of my equipment to is lol.

That is a good idea also. There's a lot more amps that will run at 16 or 18V.. It would be a relatively easy circuit to build, but you will need some serious transistors or rheostats depending on how the circuit is designed.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

bumpasauras

10+ year member
Always Hurtin Ears!!
bumpasauras
West. TEXAS
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date