why do people use tweeters...

not always.. the jbl 075 i have in my room is a bullet compresion driver and cant be used with a horn. off of 20 watts rms it will go so loud that my ears start to feel as though someone is poking my inner ear with a needle.

Its just preference, I prefer the sound of a soft fabric dome //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

It's been done in cars, but compression horns are WAY overkill for most applications.
.....x2 and alot more expensive, They're also a ***** to tune. From my experience they need alot of EQing to blend well. I wouldn't even consider them unless I had at least 13 bands of EQ and a good x-over.........I'd save the expensive stuff for the home not the freeway........

I'm in no way an authority in this field, but I'm pretty sure it's harder to keep horn's from going out of phase, and creating a lot of distortion. Most of the time horn's sound brighter because they don't disperse sound like tweeter's do. In a car setup, the dispersion of the tweeter is usually what helps create a sound stage and fills the cabin at the same time.

Do horn's have their advantages, yes. It's just that a car may not be their best application.

Its just preference, I prefer the sound of a soft fabric dome //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
Me too... Want to be SD Tweeter brothers? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif

It's been done in cars, but compression horns are WAY overkill for most applications.
Truth.

.....x2 and alot more expensive, They're also a ***** to tune. From my experience they need alot of EQing to blend well. I wouldn't even consider them unless I had at least 13 bands of EQ and a good x-over.........I'd save the expensive stuff for the home not the freeway........
Indeed. Because of the space confinements and the use of the dash as an extension no horns in a car are going to be like.

I'm in no way an authority in this field, but I'm pretty sure it's harder to keep horn's from going out of phase, and creating a lot of distortion. Most of the time horn's sound brighter because they don't disperse sound like tweeter's do. In a car setup, the dispersion of the tweeter is usually what helps create a sound stage and fills the cabin at the same time.
Do horn's have their advantages, yes. It's just that a car may not be their best application.
Horns actually naturally amplify the sound. Which is inherent to distortion. There are a lot of low distortion horns but they cost the big bucks.

BTW, you don't have a "compression driver" if you have a "Bullet Tweeter". They are two different things. And bullet tweeter usually sound pretty crappy. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif

Also, they probably sound good to you because they have a higher level of distortion. Which some people actually find pleasing.

Me too... Want to be SD Tweeter brothers? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif

Truth.

Indeed. Because of the space confinements and the use of the dash as an extension no horns in a car are going to be like.

Horns actually naturally amplify the sound. Which is inherent to distortion. There are a lot of low distortion horns but they cost the big bucks.

BTW, you don't have a "compression driver" if you have a "Bullet Tweeter". They are two different things. And bullet tweeter usually sound pretty crappy. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif

Also, they probably sound good to you because they have a higher level of distortion. Which some people actually find pleasing.
If you like soft domes why do you like B&W speakers, I don't think B&W makes a soft dome. I think hard domes are definitely better for home use though.

If you like soft domes why do you like B&W speakers, I don't think B&W makes a soft dome. I think hard domes are definitely better for home use though.
Well to clarify.

I thought about that when I posted. And here is my answer.

I like soft domes in my Car and DIY projects. Mostly because it is super easy to get a very smooth sound out of them with out being harsh or sharp sounding.

However, in manufactured speakers inwhich the designer knows a lot more than me. I tend to like aluminum or alloy tweeters. Like the B&W tweeters. But, I will always have a softspot for vintage B&W silk domes. AKA DM330i tweeters.

Well to clarify.

I like soft domes in my Car and DIY projects. Mostly because it is super easy to get a very smooth sound out of them with out being harsh or sharp sounding.

However, in manufactured speakers inwhich the designer knows a lot more than me. I tend to like aluminum or alloy tweeters. Like the B&W tweeters. But, I will always have a softspot for vintage B&W silk domes. AKA DM330i tweeters.
Pretty much my thoughts too.

Well to clarify.

Truth...
The car audio environment has so many reflective surfaces that hard domes are usually fairly harsh...

I try to think things out and speak the truth.

I guess it happens once in a while... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.