why do house amps cost so much more than car amps?

i was looking for a plate amp and anything i saw was twice as much as a comparable car amp of the same power...so my question is why the hell do house amps [ plate and dj amps] cost so much more than car amps?

and no im not comparing say crown's 10 000 watt amp to say a sony xplod 1000 watt PEAK amp im comparing the same wattage / dollar cost.

yea, i would think with all the extra power avaliable, they would have any easyer job making a powerfull amp. no need to worry about efficiency or size really.

You think plate amps are expensive in dollar/watt cost...//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif

A couple reasons for this.

1. Most HT hobbyists aren't in the same demographic car audio enthuisiasts are. So spending money may not be as much of a problem for them...

2. Sales volume. You're not going to sell as many of these as you would a mass-produced 12VDC amp, so the pricing is different.

3. You don't need as much power at home, so there isn't a race to see who can build the most powerful amps for the cheapest, like there is in 12VDC mobile audio.

But plate amps are relatively cheap when you're talking about $/watt //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

You think plate amps are expensive in dollar/watt cost...//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif
A couple reasons for this.

1. Most HT hobbyists aren't in the same demographic car audio enthuisiasts are. So spending money may not be as much of a problem for them...

2. Sales volume. You're not going to sell as many of these as you would a mass-produced 12VDC amp, so the pricing is different.

3. You don't need as much power at home, so there isn't a race to see who can build the most powerful amps for the cheapest, like there is in 12VDC mobile audio.

But plate amps are relatively cheap when you're talking about $/watt //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif
thanks for the info jimj thats really helpfull i didnt know any of that stuff hahah.

Could it also be the massive power transformer to boost a/c to whatever?

course not silly...

home amps are so much more expensive than car amps because that little voice

in your cranium keeps echoing so he won't shut up

...everybody knows that

that europower thing is sick... also you can find on ebay the

buttkicker BKA1000-4 which isnt quite as good as the europower i guess, it's designed for bass shakers so not tons of features just filters and gain basically

1100@4ohm, 2100@2ohm

Typically by the time you are at the level in home audio where you are looking at component amps instead of receivers, you are talking pretty high-end stuff. High end stuff (especially home audio from what I've seen) is marketed to people who listen with their eyes rather than ears and are more than happy to part with a ton of money for the sole reason of being able to brag to their "audiophile" buddies that they have more invested in their home stereo than most people make in a year. Minded they can't tell the difference in a blind test between their $5 a watt component amp and my $.60 a watt POS Pioneer receiver but it gives them another outlet to compensate for other inadequacies.

Typically by the time you are at the level in home audio where you are looking at component amps instead of receivers, you are talking pretty high-end stuff. High end stuff (especially home audio from what I've seen) is marketed to people who listen with their eyes rather than ears and are more than happy to part with a ton of money for the sole reason of being able to brag to their "audiophile" buddies that they have more invested in their home stereo than most people make in a year. Minded they can't tell the difference in a blind test between their $5 a watt component amp and my $.60 a watt POS Pioneer receiver but it gives them another outlet to compensate for other inadequacies.
You did very well in debate class, didn't you?

No, never took debate. But I do have a BS in Econ. I basically have a degree in being able to talk around things and say that people are stupid and have them happy about it.

That and I am a military pilot, one of a breed known to eat their young and be particularly sarcastic @$$holes.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.