Why do Capaciters even exist?

DarkKnightSM

Senior VIP Member
Capacitors intended to replace a second battery! not capacitors in circuitry, obviously those are needed. Why the hell do these things even exist or why there is a market for them? It appears you don't get noticeable gains from cheaper capacitors and more expensive ones are just as much as a full size battery? so why?

Huge huge benefits from even a single bank of maxwells. Caps have a very viable place and the problem with the negative connotations has to do with uneducated people on both sides of the equation. Those who say they're useless because of the low farad cheap caps and those who recommend them for their marketing and because they think it makes them look more legit.

The best way to view it is as a slowing down of voltage fluctuations, and a decrease in total voltage drop due to their quick discharge capabilities. Imagine a huge bucket of water with a lot of shaking going on and huge waves all over the place, put it in a lot of boards and when you shake it you still get wave's but they're minimal and less severe.

A $200 used bank of caps will change your life, and they last thousands upon thousands of cycles. I peak at about 450a of draw with 230a of idle charging current and 2 55ah agms. I went from hitting the 10s to almost never going below 13v with nowhere near the same instantaneous drop as before. They work. Physics.

Its called f*cking google. You make a statement and ask to be criticized.
alittle while ago I was watch videos on caps and the people that were talking about them and when they could be useful, didn't make sense. especially after I looked up the price of them compared to batterys. Actually I believe it was from sonix electronix question and answers

Huge huge benefits from even a single bank of maxwells. Caps have a very viable place and the problem with the negative connotations has to do with uneducated people on both sides of the equation. Those who say they're useless because of the low farad cheap caps and those who recommend them for their marketing and because they think it makes them look more legit.
The best way to view it is as a slowing down of voltage fluctuations, and a decrease in total voltage drop due to their quick discharge capabilities. Imagine a huge bucket of water with a lot of shaking going on and huge waves all over the place, put it in a lot of boards and when you shake it you still get wave's but they're minimal and less severe.

A $200 used bank of caps will change your life, and they last thousands upon thousands of cycles. I peak at about 450a of draw with 230a of idle charging current and 2 55ah agms. I went from hitting the 10s to almost never going below 13v with nowhere near the same instantaneous drop as before. They work. Physics.

THERE WE GO! that's what I was looking for. I don't feel like I could have found that on google but ill check later on. Thanks wew lad!

Capacitors intended to replace a second battery! not capacitors in circuitry, obviously those are needed. Why the hell do these things even exist or why there is a market for them? It appears you don't get noticeable gains from cheaper capacitors and more expensive ones are just as much as a full size battery? so why?
there's a big difference from a 1-100 farad generic off the market cap vs actual banks of ultra/super capacitors thats over 4000 farads. The generic one with a voltmeter is beyond garbage for buffing up your electrical system. HOWEVER it does have its uses. It filters out electrical noise so it does have a use for sound quality applications but does nothing to help power stuff unless its a very low current draw 4 channel amp in which it'll actually stiffen voltage so your output is a lot more consistent and smoother. Thats mainly in sound quality and assuming you already have an alt that can supply the power in the first place.

For high current and loud setups. You'll want to stick with more alt power and lithium batts /ultra caps for best results.

there's a big difference from a 1-100 farad generic off the market cap vs actual banks of ultra/super capacitors thats over 4000 farads. The generic one with a voltmeter is beyond garbage HOWEVER it does have its uses. It filters out electrical noise so it does have a use for sound quality applications but does nothing to help power stuff unless its a very low current draw 4 channel amp in which it'll actually stiffen voltage so your output is a lot more consistent. Thats mainly in sound quality and assuming you already have an alt that can supply the power in the first place.
For high current and loud setups. You'll want to stick with more alt power and lithium batts /ultra caps for best results.
welp that also answers my next question.

SPC5010 - Stinger Pro 10 Farad Hybrid Digital Power Capacitor

vs second, lets say a XS. But Ill just stay away from it. Still gotta do that darn ELD bypass. NO ONE in town has a 1/2 watt 820 ohm resister? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

welp that also answers my next question.
SPC5010 - Stinger Pro 10 Farad Hybrid Digital Power Capacitor

vs second, lets say a XS. But Ill just stay away from it. Still gotta do that darn ELD bypass. NO ONE in town has a 1/2 watt 820 ohm resister? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif
that cap is in garbage territory. recognize the difference between conventional caps and ULTRAcaps/SUPERcaps BIIIIIIG fking difference research bro.

here's what legit ones look like. 6 wired up in series to get 14.4volts

Maxwell BoostCap Ultra Capacitors 3000 Farad 2.7 VDC Lot of 6

As for your resistor....

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=1%2F2+watt+820+ohm+resister

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

DarkKnightSM

Senior VIP Member
DarkKnightSM
Co Springs
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from