Why do Capaciters even exist?

OP
DarkKnightSM

DarkKnightSM

Senior VIP Member
Mar 30, 2017
Co Springs
Most shops can get XS but you will pay retail.
Maybe i will find one on craigslist. Honestly im not to worried about a second battery right now. Not pushing enough to need one. And i found out that the hd amps are not only samewattage from 1.5-4 but can also push same wattage from somewhere between 12-15 volts

LosIsATool

CarAudio.com Veteran
Apr 7, 2011
Pensacola, Florida
Maybe i will find one on craigslist. Honestly im not to worried about a second battery right now. Not pushing enough to need one. And i found out that the hd amps are not only samewattage from 1.5-4 but can also push same wattage from somewhere between 12-15 volts
It's call RIPS. It's just a tightly regulated power supply but it also lowers efficiency a lot. It's give and take. The lower the voltage the more current it pulls. The amp will mute itself.

OP
DarkKnightSM

DarkKnightSM

Senior VIP Member
Mar 30, 2017
Co Springs
It's call RIPS. It's just a tightly regulated power supply but it also lowers efficiency a lot. It's give and take. The lower the voltage the more current it pulls. The amp will mute itself.
Ahhh thats right. I quickly forget these things. What do you mean mute itself? As in it cannot play as loud?

wew lad

wew lad inc
Mar 22, 2015
MA
Ahhh thats right. I quickly forget these things. What do you mean mute itself? As in it cannot play as loud?
it shuts off the music to let voltage recover, or it lowers the volume to let voltage recover. just depends on design

OP
DarkKnightSM

DarkKnightSM

Senior VIP Member
Mar 30, 2017
Co Springs
it shuts off the music to let voltage recover, or it lowers the volume to let voltage recover. just depends on design
Well that explains why my volume lowers after extended listening. I thought i was starting to go def and had to keep turningthe volume up

wew lad

wew lad inc
Mar 22, 2015
MA
Well that explains why my volume lowers after extended listening. I thought i was starting to go def and had to keep turningthe volume up
read your manual

dont keep turning it up, you're most likely clipping - do you even know what voltage your amp is seeing? 10v? you dont want to buy new equipment do you

OP
DarkKnightSM

DarkKnightSM

Senior VIP Member
Mar 30, 2017
Co Springs
read your manual
dont keep turning it up, you're most likely clipping - do you even know what voltage your amp is seeing? 10v? you dont want to buy new equipment do you
I dont turn it up if i hear audible clipping but no telling if theres inaudible clipping. No my voltage stays pretty stable from 12-14. If you call that stable. Ill test again for exavt numbers

OP
DarkKnightSM

DarkKnightSM

Senior VIP Member
Mar 30, 2017
Co Springs
read your manual
And i read the manual already. Very very basic installation instructions. I dont remeber there being anything about "muting" if voltage is lower in the manual

wew lad

wew lad inc
Mar 22, 2015
MA
I dont turn it up if i hear audible clipping but no telling if theres inaudible clipping. No my voltage stays pretty stable from 12-14. If you call that stable. Ill test again for exavt numbers
test it at the amp inputs, nowhere else matters until you know that number.

you wont hear the clipping until its too late, i guarantee that.

Jeffdachef

Gunz That Turn on Nunz
Feb 5, 2013
South Coast Metro, CA
And i read the manual already. Very very basic installation instructions. I dont remeber there being anything about "muting" if voltage is lower in the manual
Do you think they'd include something like that in the manual? no this is all due to people all running them and reporting problems/issues regarding this. Its from inherent amp design. Same issues with rockford's BDCP line and a few zed and zapco heavily regulated power supply amps.

I'd recommend you getting a voltmeter and connect it at the subwoofer amp's positive and negative terminal. Yes shove it in with your 0 gauge. Whatever voltage you think you are getting, is your front battery voltage which will be significantly different from the voltage the amp sees.

Victorinox

Aug 6, 2012
Denver, CO
Capacitor part of supercapacitors is what get people confused. Supercaps is absolutely killing it, bank of 6 500F caps can start my truck reliably every time and deliver 200-250A of current on demand in microseconds,unlike battery. It also weigh 1/10 of agm batt.

Jeffdachef

Gunz That Turn on Nunz
Feb 5, 2013
South Coast Metro, CA
Capacitor part of supercapacitors is what get people confused. Supercaps is absolutely killing it, bank of 6 500F caps can start my truck reliably every time and deliver 200-250A of current on demand in microseconds,unlike battery. It also weigh 1/10 of agm batt.
however without proper alt power, on long sustained notes, super caps definitely get depleted and all you are left with is battery reserve. Super caps isnt an option for people that cant fit lots of alts and is running huge power. It has to be hybrid with agms or lithiums if they dont have stout alternator power.

wew lad

wew lad inc
Mar 22, 2015
MA
however without proper alt power, on long sustained notes, super caps definitely get depleted and all you are left with is battery reserve. Super caps isnt an option for people that cant fit lots of alts and is running huge power. It has to be hybrid with agms or lithiums if they dont have stout alternator power.
this

they're a great addition if you're seeing massive voltage drops on spontaneous notes but on long heavy draws without the alternator output to back them up they wont work miracles

also to add to this;

"super caps definitely get depleted and all you are left with is battery reserve" and depleted caps that are now requiring power themselves

SQBubble

CarAudio.com Elite
10+ year member
Mar 7, 2006
MTL
isnt voltage drop an alternator issue in the first place? id put my money on a solid HO alt and solid battery before anything else... gotta start from the source of power and work your way up from there

Jeffdachef

Gunz That Turn on Nunz
Feb 5, 2013
South Coast Metro, CA
isnt voltage drop an alternator issue in the first place? id put my money on a solid HO alt and solid battery before anything else... gotta start from the source of power and work your way up from there
Try doing two or more alts in a 2009 sienna engine bay. Only way its possible to run what im running is through battery power.

mazdakid

CarAudio.com Veteran
10+ year member
Oct 11, 2004
illnoise
When i was a teenager there was an older saturn around here with atleast 4 alternators, he cut holes and had them running up out of the engine bay. Youve got options lol.

wew lad

wew lad inc
Mar 22, 2015
MA
i have 1/4 the voltage drop that i did previously after adding a bank of caps. the caps act as a damper in a way and prevent the fluctuations from being so vast and thats why they help with voltage drop

Victorinox

Aug 6, 2012
Denver, CO
Obviously true. but amplifier don`t draw constant current on music, if you listen to sinewaves then of course.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Trending topics

Latest classifieds