Why are "Cold air intakes" so god **** expensive?

ls2poweredgoat
5,000+ posts

Womanizer
$307 for an AEM cold air intake for my car?? Are you shitting me?? Not like I drive a Mustang Cobra or Corvette, I drive a 4-banger Accord, I doubt it would make THAT much of a difference anyway.

It will be a cold day in hell before I spend more than $100 on a piece of pipe and an air filter.

At $307 it better come with a blowjob and a reach around.

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wow.gif.23d729408e9177caa2a0ed6a2ba6588e.gif

My V2 intake was 350 on ebay from AEM. It is because there 50 state legal, they meet all the requirements, they increase horsepower, and the filter is a lot of the cost. I would buy another one if I had to.

build one yourself with parts from autozone...they have all the parts you need
I secound this. Pepboys crazy enough has things for building your own intake as well. Not to bad stuff. Or go to lowes or home depot. Get some PVC and a air filter and build away. I did that with my dodge dakota.

i went with a zerotek or something like that i think it was and it does the same as an other CAI

Built my own for my CTS-V. Got the pipe off eBay cheap and some couplers as well. Then got a C5 battery box out of my vette because it really isn’t needed and a K&N from kragen. I spent about $100 in all including a replacement battery shroud for the vette. pics below.... you can do similar on your GTO!

ctsbuild005-1.jpg

ctsbuild006-1.jpg

ctsbuild007-1.jpg

I secound this. Pepboys crazy enough has things for building your own intake as well. Not to bad stuff. Or go to lowes or home depot. Get some PVC and a air filter and build away. I did that with my dodge dakota.
don't use pvc...

go to autozone or w/e get couplers some piping and an airfilter.. you will need to drill holes for your sensors.

spectre is the brand that autozone and pepboys carries. they mak diffrent types of tubes(plactic and alum.) in diffrend shapes so you can make your own intake system.

they have diffrent adapters for temp and maf sencers and so on.

they make their kits in 3 and 4" and also have plenums to make kits for carbed stuff as well.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.