Who Competes?

Carl Casper show is no more Tommy so you should have plenty of time on your hands to drive anywhere //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif

I used to compete when I was still living in the US but now my jeep sits in storage collecting SPL dust.

Carl Casper show is no more Tommy so you should have plenty of time on your hands to drive anywhere //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif
I used to compete when I was still living in the US but now my jeep sits in storage collecting SPL dust.
Yeah, I know it's no more. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif Pretty bummed as I always looked forward to coming down and hanging out with my kentucky buddies.

I went to my first Meca event back in October and loved it. I was surprised at how friendly everyone was and how easily they were willing to give advice. Even my girlfriend said she had a good time

What held me back for so long was the cost and distance and my school/workload. The closest events to me are 2+hrs away and gas prices arent helping either. To top that off I had to miss a day of work, which ***** when you are a college student. Between gas and entry fees I'm already up over $100, then add food and/or extra passes or clinics and the cost runs up real fast. I want to come out to more this year, but this is my senior year and I need to make sure I get good grades and focus on my schoolwork.

I do think that the local shops and even some big box retail stores should host more local events, because this would allow people to get their foot in the door or even just the thought about competing. I called my local shop all summer asking if they were going to do any events and they told me they werent sure and to call back at a later date. I dont like the people at my local shop because they are all arrogant and condescending so I'm not sure if they advertised any Meca events. But I really think that Meca does need to get the local shops to help them advertise as they dont seem to do a very good job of advertising.

i compete during the SPL season, in the northeast NESPL, And TNESPL 50+ events entered this pass season done a few usaci when there around,

i go to every show set for the northeast, its what i really enjoy to do. wish everyone with a system would come out to compete would make it so much better

i compete during the SPL season, in the northeast NESPL, And TNESPL 50+ events entered this pass season done a few usaci when there around, i go to every show set for the northeast, its what i really enjoy to do. wish everyone with a system would come out to compete would make it so much better
IMO it would be great for more to at least show up and offer more support and raise awareness for the sport/hobby. It seems like it really is a small niche in the market.

IMO it would be great for more to at least show up and offer more support and raise awareness for the sport/hobby. It seems like it really is a small niche in the market.
car audio competition isnt really big, its big to us that know it, but think of all those that have no clue. great example, couple months ago another competitor and myself got into the final round of bassracing. usually there is a little crowd around watching but nothing big. well the venue was a car show. we tied the first run and more people gathered around, tied another time and more people gathered around. by now we had about 40-50 people watching just asking whats going on, from ages 10-50years old. tied once more and by that time there were 50+ people watching trying to learn what was going on. the younger guys were asking how can they get there cars in it as well, unfortunately it was too late to register and all that for them to join in. but told them to check out where and when the next show was and low and behold, 2 of the guys in the crowd showed up. if more people knew about it and what it was all about instead of thinking its just immature "kids" who like loud music. i love to compete, its fun to me and i enjoy meeting the people. i have no problem driving 4-5hrs one way for a show. matter of fact in a few weeks i will be driving to mylows10's shows they are going to be hosting in a few weeks, 4.25hrs one way. gotta love the car audio

car audio competition isnt really big, its big to us that know it, but think of all those that have no clue. great example, couple months ago another competitor and myself got into the final round of bassracing. usually there is a little crowd around watching but nothing big. well the venue was a car show. we tied the first run and more people gathered around, tied another time and more people gathered around. by now we had about 40-50 people watching just asking whats going on, from ages 10-50years old. tied once more and by that time there were 50+ people watching trying to learn what was going on. the younger guys were asking how can they get there cars in it as well, unfortunately it was too late to register and all that for them to join in. but told them to check out where and when the next show was and low and behold, 2 of the guys in the crowd showed up. if more people knew about it and what it was all about instead of thinking its just immature "kids" who like loud music. i love to compete, its fun to me and i enjoy meeting the people. i have no problem driving 4-5hrs one way for a show. matter of fact in a few weeks i will be driving to mylows10's shows they are going to be hosting in a few weeks, 4.25hrs one way. gotta love the car audio
Very true here. I was really surprised at how many guys there were in their late 20s to mid 30s with their families there that had been competing for upwards of 10-15years. I thought it would be like the stereotype you mentioned, with mostly immature kids. Complete opposite though. I think thats what made it more enjoyable then I thought it would be, more mature and educated people that know what they are talking about and are just out there to have some fun and interact with other cool like minded people.

I went to my first Meca event back in October and loved it. I was surprised at how friendly everyone was and how easily they were willing to give advice. Even my girlfriend said she had a good time
What held me back for so long was the cost and distance and my school/workload. The closest events to me are 2+hrs away and gas prices arent helping either. To top that off I had to miss a day of work, which ***** when you are a college student. Between gas and entry fees I'm already up over $100, then add food and/or extra passes or clinics and the cost runs up real fast. I want to come out to more this year, but this is my senior year and I need to make sure I get good grades and focus on my schoolwork.

I do think that the local shops and even some big box retail stores should host more local events, because this would allow people to get their foot in the door or even just the thought about competing. I called my local shop all summer asking if they were going to do any events and they told me they werent sure and to call back at a later date. I dont like the people at my local shop because they are all arrogant and condescending so I'm not sure if they advertised any Meca events. But I really think that Meca does need to get the local shops to help them advertise as they dont seem to do a very good job of advertising.
shops that want nothing to do with events will not help someone else promote their events. I've tried that with no luck, but i have a new strategy //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif. But i'll have plenty of events for you to come to my man. First one of 2012 will prolly be march 18th

Its kind of a shame that there are shops out there that don't support events. Its like a sporting goods retailer that doesnt endorse pro sports or a sports car dealer that doesn't support any kind of motorsport. Very counterproductive to the sport.

I wish that event would fall on my spring break which is usually the first week or so of March so then I'd have a better chance of being able to make it. I cant wait to go to another event.

Its kind of a shame that there are shops out there that don't support events. Its like a sporting goods retailer that doesnt endorse pro sports or a sports car dealer that doesn't support any kind of motorsport. Very counterproductive to the sport.
I wish that event would fall on my spring break which is usually the first week or so of March so then I'd have a better chance of being able to make it. I cant wait to go to another event.
most shop-owners are haters of others that they may feel are taking money away from them. so if there's an event at someone else's shop or being promoted by someone other than themselves they won't support it. They consider it competition. They have good reason (exposure to brands they don't sell taking business away from them) but that's thinking on a pretty small level instead of taking the big picture into consideration.

Early march usually has bad weather in Ohio (tried that last year and there was snow //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif) so march 18th had to do. and with SBN the 24th/25th i couldn't do any later than the 18th

Very true here. I was really surprised at how many guys there were in their late 20s to mid 30s with their families there that had been competing for upwards of 10-15years. I thought it would be like the stereotype you mentioned, with mostly immature kids. Complete opposite though. I think thats what made it more enjoyable then I thought it would be, more mature and educated people that know what they are talking about and are just out there to have some fun and interact with other cool like minded people.
yeah i was shocked at how many older guys there are out there. but its better, cause they are nice and willing to help you out almost all the time. my teammates are all older than me and i am kinda glad, cause i can learn from them. i take my kids out with me sometimes. they run around and have fun at the shows and play with other kids that happened to be out there. i too know how it is when the LOCAL shop wont do any events. the one 30 miles away does a bunch, but the ones in town say "we aren't into that" as i say "you are into new customers though right" they dont reply usually after that ha ha

ive only competed once this year. next year im trying to find some more shows in the wisconsin chicago area.
csco in the Team DOA section, we have a sticky for all the local shows for Northern IL/WI. DbDrag site will list all of Jeremy's shows in your area also.

IMO all the orgs should have some sort of "bass race" format where anyone can compete, be competitive, and have fun. My set up is more of a demo vehicle, not built for burps, so bass racing is where it's at for me...

You should come to an SQ show, most of us are "older", well into our 30's-40's(for the most part) and do this to get away from the wife and kids for a day.

My wife came out to a show I was hosting last season and was shocked at how nice, mature and friendly everyone was. She had a stereotype in her head and it was completely turned around. She still has no desire to spend more than an hour on a Sunday in a parking lot but she atleast comes out now.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

stereo_luver

10+ year member
Senior VIP Member
stereo_luver
kennesaw, GA.
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date