Which SQL 12" or 10" Sub? For 0.65 cu. ft. sealed enclosure. Maybe IDQ12?

bdonkersgoed
10+ year member

Hey Guys,

What would you recommend as an excellent SQL sub that is either 12" or 10" for a small sealed enclosure (0.65 cu. ft.). The enclosure cannot change because I am doing a stealth box install in my '99 VW Passat where the box will fill in a little unused cubby hole in the trunk.

This sub will be powered by my Orion HCCA 225G4 cheater amp with the following power output:

2 x 25 @ 4 Ohm

2 x 50 @ 2 Ohm

2 x 100 @ 1 Ohm

2 x 200 @ .5 Ohm

1 x 100 @ 4 Ohm

1 x 200 @ 2 Ohm

1 x 400 @ 1 Ohm

So far I am considering the Image Dynamics IDQ12 D2 v.2 hooked up in parallel to the Orion HCCA. This would give me a 1-ohm load for 400 watts of power (the IDQ is 350W RMS). Also, the IDQ only requires a 0.55 to 1.00 cu. ft. sealed enclosure which would work nice for my application.

I have never heard an IDQ before. I'm not even sure if they are in Canada (but I can order through http://www.cardomain.com). Are these good SQL subs? Can they still play decently loud when you want them to? Here is the cardomain listing:

http://www.cardomain.com/item/IDSIDQ12D2V2

What other subs should I be considering? I would be willing to go with a 10" as well so that it will fit the box.

Thanks!

Bryan

i would not consider the IDQ a SQL sub but more of an SQ sub. i did have this sub for a while and it was very clean off 500 watts that i gave it. although as i said, its an SQ sub, it can get loud if i wanted it to. it was plenty for me.

plus 400 watts for an SQL probably aint much anyways.

i would not consider the IDQ a SQL sub but more of an SQ sub. i did have this sub for a while and it was very clean off 500 watts that i gave it. although as i said, its an SQ sub, it can get loud if i wanted it to. it was plenty for me.
plus 400 watts for an SQL probably aint much anyways.
I am a little confused by this. Doesn't SQL and SQ both mean the same thing? I always thought:

SQL: Sound Quality

SPL: Sound Volume

Thanks,

Bryan

SQL is basically a combination of SPL and SQ.
OK . . . never knew that before :p

Well, sound quality (SQ) is what I am mainly going for. I want a nice balance with the rest of my system which is:

- Alpine CDA-9835 CD/MP3 head unit

- Focal Utopia 165w Components in front powered by PPI Art Ax400

- RE-XXX mids in rear powered by US Amps 300x (need to get the amp)

- ??? Sub powered by Orion HCCA 225G4

Any other recommendations for an SQ or maybe SQL sub?

Thanks,

Bryan

A ruler flat SQ system does not sound 'good' to most people. You want the output here I think. Call it SQ or SQL (sound quality lever??) or whatever you want, but you want your sub to move some air.

A ruler flat SQ system does not sound 'good' to most people. You want the output here I think. Call it SQ or SQL (sound quality lever??) or whatever you want, but you want your sub to move some air.
OK . . . but a 350W IDQ should move enough air for a balanced system, shouldn't it? I once had a 150W sub and that thing could really move given its small power. I also had a 1000W Type X which was WAAAY too much, and a 500W Type R which is more to my liking. If the IDQ is close to the Type R in loudness, but superior in quality, then I think it may be a good match for me.

If there are any other suggestions, I am all ears. Looking for a good 12" or 10" SQ sub.

Thanks,

Bryan

the idq would be perfect for you. i wouldn't give it 400 watts though considering i blew my idq 15 off of 300 clean watts. i loved that thing though. hit so fast, clean and deep. and it could get loud when i needed it to.

the idq would be perfect for you. i wouldn't give it 400 watts though considering i blew my idq 15 off of 300 clean watts. i loved that thing though. hit so fast, clean and deep. and it could get loud when i needed it to.
must have set your gains too high. my idq took 500 watts off my old zapco no problem.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.