Which orientation for ext cab?

Alter Ego Trip
10+ year member

Witty Statement Here
MT
I'm getting ready to build a custom sealed box under the seat of my 05 Ext cab. I'm either going to leave the seat stock height and install my 2 10" Boston G2 subs, or raise it 2" and install Fi 10" Q series. Only question is how to mount the subs. Should I do a forward, top, or bottom firing orientation?

I think downfiring sealed boxes in trucks are worth the effort. Makes it sound louder without losing SQ. At least it did to me. But that subjective to nothing more than ones ear though. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

bottom firing will force you to make a smaller box since you ave to have clearance for the subs...i would personally do forward firing.
If I move the seat up a couple inches I should easily be able to get the right cf with the q's, and I could make it work without moving the seat at all with the Boston's as they only require .5 cf per woofer.

I think downfiring sealed boxes in trucks are worth the effort. Makes it sound louder without losing SQ. At least it did to me. But that subjective to nothing more than ones ear though. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
Only thing that worries me with downfiring is the resonancy. Would these add a significant amount compared to a top or forward firing configuration? Also, if going downfiring I assume you'd need to build a base to keep the box off the floor to allow the woofer to breathe?

Two 12" Single Spider RD Alphas on a 1750.1 in an 07 Four Door F-150 = 45-46 legal on music.

Downfiring can get down, and those were sealed woofers to give you an idea. Sounded great and shook the tee total **** out of that vehicle.

If I move the seat up a couple inches I should easily be able to get the right cf with the q's, and I could make it work without moving the seat at all with the Boston's as they only require .5 cf per woofer.

Only thing that worries me with downfiring is the resonancy. Would these add a significant amount compared to a top or forward firing configuration? Also, if going downfiring I assume you'd need to build a base to keep the box off the floor to allow the woofer to breathe?
thats wat i meant when i said it would force a smaller enclosure. b/c your actually box height would dimenish due to the base.

Two 12" Single Spider RD Alphas on a 1750.1 in an 07 Four Door F-150 = 45-46 legal on music.
Downfiring can get down, and those were sealed woofers to give you an idea. Sounded great and shook the tee total **** out of that vehicle.
I'm after SQ as a main priority, I'm getting old enough SPL really doesn't do much for me nowadays. That being said, there are some days where I want to shake my fillings loose. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

If I go with a down firing and flush the woofers even with the box, how much room should I leave to allow them enough room to breath?

I'm after SQ as a main priority, I'm getting old enough SPL really doesn't do much for me nowadays. That being said, there are some days where I want to shake my fillings loose. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif
If I go with a down firing and flush the woofers even with the box, how much room should I leave to allow them enough room to breath?
You can get quite close without causing problems. I just used the corners as the base. So long as the cone/surround isn't coming in contact with anything you should be fine. And I didn't mean that it adds 5dB.. It just seems as if the sound is carried through-out the vehicle more. Especially at lower volumes. Days when you just wanna listen to music without beating your eardrums but still want the quality of being able to hear/feel a bass drum in rock music, etc. Metallica's song 'One' has an astounding double bass drumline toward the middle/end that sounded awesome in my truck without giving me a headache on the days I wasn't "up to par".

i did 141 dbs on music, downfired with a single 12 ported. 500 watts. to the ear i couldn't really hear a difference between forward and down, but down seemed to hit better numbers.

I'm getting ready to build a custom sealed box under the seat of my 05 Ext cab. I'm either going to leave the seat stock height and install my 2 10" Boston G2 subs, or raise it 2" and install Fi 10" Q series. Only question is how to mount the subs. Should I do a forward, top, or bottom firing orientation?
FYI. One 10" Alpine SWS-1043D in a 1 cu-ft sealed box in my Nissan Titan king cab.

FYI. One 10" Alpine SWS-1043D in a 1 cu-ft sealed box in my Nissan Titan king cab.
How hard does that hit? I'm almost wondering if I can get away with a single 10". Amp is an MTX TE1501D so there is no shortage of power. A single Q series will handle 1000 watts RMS. If I go with one that leaves me plenty of room under the other side of the seat to build a custom amp rack.

db SPL - Yeah I understood where you were going with that. Thanks.

How hard does that hit? I'm almost wondering if I can get away with a single 10". Amp is an MTX TE1501D so there is no shortage of power. A single Q series will handle 1000 watts RMS. If I go with one that leaves me plenty of room under the other side of the seat to build a custom amp rack.
db SPL - Yeah I understood where you were going with that. Thanks.
I don't think I'm going to win any SPL contests with that single 10, but with it aimed right at the back of my seat like this, it is awesome ... to me anyway. I know dudes on here don't approve since it's a single 10 powered by my Alpine PDX-5's 424-watt sub channel ... but it works great to me. Not gonna make any girls hair blow around, but if vibrating rear view mirrors is a good gauge, this vibrates mine alot. This setup is my compromise to still be able to use the other rear seat, or quickly un-plug & yank this sub out in case a 4th person is riding.

I don't think I'm going to win any SPL contests with that single 10, but with it aimed right at the back of my seat like this, it is awesome ... to me anyway. I know dudes on here don't approve since it's a single 10 powered by my Alpine PDX-5's 424-watt sub channel ... but it works great to me. Not gonna make any girls hair blow around, but if vibrating rear view mirrors is a good gauge, this vibrates mine alot. This setup is my compromise to still be able to use the other rear seat, or quickly un-plug & yank this sub out in case a 4th person is riding.
Yeah, I'm not into max SPL as mentioned earlier. I do like to feel it but I don't need to flex any body panels. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/cool.gif.3bcaf8f141236c00f8044d07150e34f7.gif I think the best compromise is maybe a single 12" in a sealed box in the downfiring position. I would like to go with 2 but I can always andd another one down the road if I find one to be lacking enough punch (which I highly doubt).

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.