which large welding crimpers????

muskyhunter567
10+ year member

Truck Do Burn Rubber
im looking for some large welding crimpers, i searched and i couldnt really find anything, just threads about people who want to find other ways than a big nice crimper, im looking for one that does 8ga through 1/0 or bigger, price is not an issue, il drop a couple hundred on a nice one, i hate crappy tools, anyway, i used one today that had different parts you put in the mouth to do different wires, the kind that puts a nice square on the bottom of the ring terminal, if anybody knows of a good brand or one they really liked, help would be great,

i like the greenlee ones that solder a sleeve onto the wire then crimp the lug ontot he sleeve. I used them at work all the time for electric motor connections. pistol grip battery powered

I have three different types of heavy duty crimpers. I have a 12 ton hydraulic hand crimper, battery lug crimper and welding ring crimper. The battery lug crimper and welding lug crimper look almost identical except for the crimping dies. They both look like bolt cutters. The hydraulic crimper makes really nice crimps but they are very expensive unless you get a Chinese nock off. The bolt cutter type crimpers can be bought off Ebay for as low as $75 shipped.

I took some pictures of the different crimpers that I have.

2164199820048953316S600x600Q85.jpg

2463162130048953316S600x600Q85.jpg

2206790450048953316S600x600Q85.jpg

were did you buy those?//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wow.gif.23d729408e9177caa2a0ed6a2ba6588e.gif
I purchased the two bolt cutter type from Ebay. I have a buddy who travels to Asia a few times a year to find items for his company. There is a company there that makes some of the hydraulic crimpers that are sold in the US under a few different brand names. He worked his magic and got them to give him a sample crimper to try out. I believe they sell for around $250-$300 here in the US, it depends on the brand name that is on the tool. That is why the hydraulic crimper in the photo has no name on the tool.

For my last install, i was fortunate enough to find a site called shopping.redorbit.com that sold tsunami 1/0 gauge wiring for $80 a 50' spool, and crimpless allen-wrench 1/0 terminals for $3 a pair, but apparently they caught on to the fact that everyone else was selling the same stuff for 2-3x the price, so this time around i've got myself one of these:

http://stores.channeladvisor.com/genuinedealz/Items/gim-94840?sck=6873344&caSKU=gim-94840&caTitle=Cable%20Lug%20Crimper%20-%20Heavy%20Duty%20Hammer%20Style%20Crimp%20Tool

for $26 shipped, and a 50 pack of 'dese

http://www.mogiz.com/pages/productdetails.aspx?AffiliateTag=GoogleBaseSite&productid=WKR

for $36 shipped. Both stores accept google checkout, too, which sealed the deal. (makes it almost TOO easy, doesn't it?)

I personally LOVE new tools, and considered shelling out $200+ for a pair of nice crimpers, but for how often i actually use 8-1/0, i couldn't justify spending any more.

The one problem i forsee with using a hammer-type crimp tool, is that i like to put the terminals on AFTER i have the cable run through the car, so i know i'm not wasting any of it (stuff's expensive!) so this is probably going to cause problems, trying to hammer on a ring terminal in the trunk of my car.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.