Which Head Unit for USB Folder Auto-Advance?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Killheart7

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hello there.  I'm shopping for a head unit for my new car, and I have a specific feature in mind that I would like to find.  My current unit is an Alpine, and it's great except for the fact that it won't advance through the folders on my USB drive automatically.  I've read the whole manual and played with it a lot, and there's just no way to do it.  Can anyone point me to a unit that will do this?  I commute to work and spend a lot of time listening to music in my car, and my preferred method is just to load up a lot of albums on a USB stick and let them play in rotation. 

I spoke to a SONY rep who told me that all of their units do this, but I am skeptical.  I've read the manuals for two of the units he suggested and neither details the options or operational nature of the USB function.

Thanks in advance for any help with this.

I guess I should also mention that I will spend more for better sound quality, so if there's more than one option, I'd like to hear about the best-sounding ones.

Ive never seen one that did, but ive never seen a bunch of them either. Doing a quick search showed only one post on the Hellcat forums where the dude wanted it to do this on his stock HU. So, maybe its still "not a thing"? Im kinda interested to find out as well.

Before I had a USB head unit I used to burn .mp3 cd's and my first Alpine unit automatically advanced through the folders on the cd's.  I'm surprised the newer USB units don't operate the same way.

Different controller software on a CD vs thumb drive. Since there are so many drives out there, they have to kinda dumb it down i guess, for compatibility reasons. Not so much on a CD which is a standard standard.

Crutchfield got on the phone with retail support from Pioneer and confirmed that the 80PRS does in fact do what I want.  The support guy at Pioneer actually tested it rather than just quoting a manual or answering from memory, so I have at least one definite option now.  I'm going to keep searching for others that might be a little cheaper, but I can swing for the 80PRS if I have to.  The DEX-P99RS looks awesome, but is out of the question due to the price.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.