Which Double-Din for new ride?

Participant count
  • Participant list

GaresTaylan
10+ year member

Hey everyone. Looking to replace the factory HU in my 2011 Challenger. For the time being I will be leaving the boston acoustic system in there - but eventually I will replace everything and add a 4ch and sub amp.

I am looking at aftermarket double-din's and really haven't paid much attention to advances in their technology. The last unit I owned was a Kenwood DNX8120. I liked the customization for audio, the GPS was pretty good - I just didn't like the sluggish response of the system.

What's good? Before I purchased my Kenwood I was looking at Alpine, Pioneer and Eclipse as well. The unit I have had my eye on the most seems to be the Alpine INA-W910 because of the feature to price point ratio. Here is what I'm looking for:

-Integrate factory steering wheel controls for now

-Bluetooth

-3 sets pre-outs, 4V or higher

-Great audio customization (EQ, Time Alignment, etc to name a few?)

-Great screen quality and fast controls

-A GREAT NAV unit

Out of all, the NAV is most important as its really the main reason I am making this switch now instead of waiting until next year when funds are more readily available. I have been doing a lot of additional traveling for my work.

Any feedback appreciated.

I have the current Kenwood DNX9980HD, and it's been OK... The sluggishness continues. I upgraded to the 9980HD from the 9960, the only two Kenwood decks I've ever owned. For nearly $2000 one would certainly expect more. /rant

What I like about them is that they combine great SQ, Garmin GPS, and Parrot hands free in one unit. It's expensive, but it's currently the best all around'r out there. I'd buy it again in the face of the offerings from Sony, Alpine, JVC, and even Pioneer! I was a long time Pioneer guy, but have been converted... Basically, you have to give up speed of the interface, but you can get everything else on your list with the current Kenwoods.

Thanks for the feedback. Ill check out the Clarion unit as well. The price point is great - but i hate that knob on the side.

Kenwood looks impressive and looks like I can find them for around $1200 on ebay which is where I got my old unit. I did like the fact that it had the Garmin GPS in it.

Ive owned Pioneer units in the past. The AVIC-N1... 8600... 9800... but I feel like I always had issues with them. The fuse always blew... faceplate bad on one... motor burnt out on the N1... has Pioneer's quality improved?

How has Alpine fared? The last Alpine unit I owned was the 9835... seemed like after that a lot of people say they went down the tubes.

**EDIT**

Well I found one big complaint about the Alpine. Apparently you have to fuss with the parking break bypass a lot just to access normal system setting when driving such as EQ. Lame.

i have a Eclipse 6600 Nav/Dvd w/ 5v preouts. not sure on the blue tooth, but has great control, and im letting it go at a good price //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif. retailed for $2k new and is only a few years old. pm me if your interested at all, not sure if you only want new.

Any feedback from anyone else? Still undecided.

The Clarion seems like a great deal - but it sounds ilk a lot of people have been having cache issues with the GPS.

The Pioneer sounds great - except for their notorious issues with needing to ground RCAs. I think I'm leaning toward this one or the X930-BT.

The Alpine unit sounds like a hassle. From what Ive read online you have to fuss with the bypass to even adjust normal controls like EQ.

Kenwood - as much as I liked my old one (overlooking the sluggishness of the unit) Im not positive I really want to spend that much.

Last edited by a moderator:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.