Which amps would you choose? alpine or fosgate?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Jt321
10+ year member

Which ones would you pick?

Alpine PDX 1.600

&

Alpine PDX 4.100

Or

RF t400.4

&

RF t600.2

My system consist of 6 1/2" kicker rs speakers up front, no rear fill yet. And (2) 12" jl w3 300 rms each. Alpine iva-d300, optima red top, stock alt.

I just went through this myself. I tested only the PDX 4.150 vs. the T400-4

That Alpine setup sounds better from the upper mids to the highs. I really like the midrange clarity of ICE powered amps. The highs are good but I've heard better for the price. The lower midbass is a bit lacking tough...

The amp is also said to be little nicer in the electrical system, according to the installers in Stereo King & Car Toys.

The RF setup owns it on the midbass. Again, just a characteristic of running a speaker directly from an output device (much higher damping factor). The mids where some of the best I've heard in a RF amp but different than the Alpine. Warmer, not as clear. Not unpleaseant tough...The highs could have been good, but I have a feeling the amp has some kind of built in EQ, so it was a bit harsh through my metal domes (Diamond). I hooked the T400-4 to some A/D/S sof dome tweets, reduced a bit the output with a 3 ohm resistor & got good results...now why would RF intentionally make an amp with tweaked HF response is beyond my understanding...

If I was running only one or my sub was to far to produce audible midbass I would go with the RF (I did). If I was running a separate Sub amp & my Sub could fill in for the midbass I would have gone with the Alpine.

I am not crazy about the upper highs or channel separation on either, my old Denon DCA 3500 owns them both in that respect (40 WPC, Quasi class A, Dual power supplies). All in all, both are great amps that will make a compact setup sound almost like one of the big guys...but you can do better for the $$$ if you have the space and the electric system to support it (I didn't but I am VERY happy with my stealthy 3 way system).

In an ideal world we could use the Class A to power the Tweets, the ICE to power the mids, the BD to power the midbass & the class D to power the lowest octaves...separate amps for each channel...but then the integration would be hellish... pick what sounds good to your ears & enjoy the music!!!

Thanks for the reply! Yea i been researching and both amps are pretty good and about the same amount. Which amps will pull less current? I need ones that dont pull lots of current and wont go into protect mode when it drops below a certain voltage or even when it spikes up to like 15 volts. Right now my kicker amps go into protect mode because my car spikes up to 15 volts. 2006 chrysler 300

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.