which amp would be best

Participant count
  • Participant list

greens09

was good peeps my name is victor and im from SO-CAL im new to this site so i thought id give it a go

i need help choosing the best amp for my subs... my current amp is a kenwood KAC-5206 4oo watt max power i ran it with two kenwood 12's svc and it was fine but i wanted something with a bigger thump so i moved on to 2 polk DXi 1240 DVC's... so essentially what i need is a bigger amp im just not sure which would be best... if anyone reads this hit me up with suggestions all are appreciated thanks

So you have a 150 watt amp and you need a bigger one for the polks? There are a few 600 at 1ohm amps or I like to recommend the JBL MS-A5001 on Amazon. $199 with great features you don't find on amps under $700. It will do 500 at 4ohm and be a big increase over what you have.

Thanks man im still fairly new to the whole car audio vernacular so alot of this stuff still goes over my head like I know my amp is bridged but why only 150 watt wheres the rest of the power if the max is 400

Thanks man im still fairly new to the whole car audio vernacular so alot of this stuff still goes over my head like I know my amp is bridged but why only 150 watt wheres the rest of the power if the max is 400
Max is a made up number that makes people think they are getting what they are not so it sells to people that don't know any better.

So if max is just a maid up # then how do u know what ur buying? what do have to pay attention to the Rms?
Even RMS can be BS. The highest grossing brand from the last few years was BOSS audio. They label 5000 max, rms 2500, really do 250. They make more money than anyone else.

It's hard these days.

Brands like JL, Kicker, JBL, Alpine, MTX, ROCKFORD, ect all will do rated RMS.

Then you have brands like Sundown, Digital Designs, Incriminator that you might have never heard of do more than rated RMS

Then you have a million shady brands. Some where top dogs in the 90s but have been bought out by bottom feeders. PPI, hifonics, soundsttream, orion.

so basically am i better off just getting a decent brand 500 watt amp?
In your case yes but it looks like your subs are dvc 4ohm? If so you are kind of limited. Either a good 500 at 1 which are out there or 500 at 4 which are limited unless you step up to 1000 at 2 which is spending money on power you don't need

Or you could buy a American Bass PH2500MD or a Massive Audio N3 for under $200 and have tons of headroom for now, and plenty left for a sub upgrade later ...
I'd say go bigger also.

I'm glad I did, because I'm not impressed with my sub anymore, time for an upgrade.

Or you could buy a American Bass PH2500MD or a Massive Audio N3 for under $200 and have tons of headroom for now, and plenty left for a sub upgrade later ...
Have you tested those amps? Buddy had a PH I think and it was a POS. Could have been the 4480 whatever.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.