Which Amp To Use?

brycek8

I have a Orion Cobalt 500w mono block amp that I can wire parallel to 4 ohms; I also have a Rockford Fosgate 200S 2 channel 200w amp that I bridge to 4 ohms. For subs I have 2 "12 Memphis SR subs each at 4 ohms. What setup would be better? Thanks for the help guys!

So here is the whole story. I had the fosgate first bridged and it worked great til it didn't. So I got the cobalt and it worked great til it didn't. So I did some troubleshooting and found that the ground wire was melted. So after I fixed that, I used the orion and it works great. I tried the fosgate and it worked as well. Just seeing what one you would recommend.

what exact model is the orion amp ,the fosgate will smoke after playing it for a while ,i guarantee it
The fosgate does not go up in smoke. I have used it for hours at a time and its still fine. It is an old school fosgate so the rating is actually more than what is says. The rating for the subs is that they each can handle 250 RMS.

The orion amp is the Orion Cobalt CO500.1 seen here: Orion Cobalt CO500.1 Mono subwoofer amplifier — 250 watts RMS x 1 at 2 ohms at Crutchfield.com

Can you explain why/how it would?
its a 2 channel amp that is 2 ohms stable in stereo only,unless you are going to run the subs in stereo at 4 ohms not bridged the amp will get hot and either go into protect or smoke .its not built to be ran at 2 ohms bridged

I don't understand how both amps work great when wired that way and the fosgate does not overheat when bridged and hits just as hard as the cobalt. It has not gone up in smoke before or had the protect mode light go on.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.