Which amp to purchase?

nbenham

I'm looking at two different amps on Amazon and would love some input, as I'm new to car audio..

Kenwood Kac-8105D 1000-Watt Class Amplifier ($114)

Alpine MRP-M500 Monoblock Power Amplifier ($125)

Both put out 500W X 1 at 2_. Suggestions?

Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:
What sub are you looking to power with this monoblock? You could go cheaper and get a APSM1500 for less than either of those options on the budget side or you could head over to Sonic and grab a Boston Acoustics GT2200 for less than 150 and have 900W at 2 ohms bridged.

That's a great suggestion neo..I like the looks of the Boston GT2200 a lot. I'm considering MTX TNE212D preloaded subs to accompany it. Open to suggestions there as well..

I'd try to avoid preloaded. They're normally tuned too high and won't give you what you're looking for in low end. I would suggest finding a used sub on here and having @double 07 ; build you a box specifically for that sub and your car. He's cheaper than you'd think btw. Had him build me a box for my ID10 and, even shipped to California, was still cheaper than getting one done locally. Built waaaaaay better too.

---------- Post added at 11:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:51 AM ----------

What's your budget for everything? I'll do my best to help point you in the right direction.

I'm looking at around $300 total, $150 for the subs and $150 for the amp, although that range is flexible. I'm comfortable installing myself, but not building enclosures. I'm looking for a rounded sound, not just something that rattles the civic.

Then we're on the same team here. If you can see my setup I know exactly what you're after. I would say try and snag a good deal on a ID10, go sealed for your enclosure until you can upgrade to a well-tuned ported enclosure and go with the next step down of that Boston amp (GT2125) for 110 at SonicElectronix. Should put you right at budget.

Too bad you're not closer to here. Someone's selling a Fi Q with enclosure for 150. Great price and well within your budget.

That's extremely helpful man, thank you! I'm not sure of my wiring situation. The car's previous owner had an audio system so a power line is running back to where I'll be installing the amp, although some speaker wiring may have to be redone. Would you suggest the sub and amp over the MTX subs I was considering earlier, price aside? The MTX's are 50W more RMS, although I'm assuming I'd suffer some quality with those.

I'm willing to spend a little extra for the step up to the GT2200 amp if that'll sound better with my system.

Going with the 2200 will set you up better if you want to upgrade your subs in the future. If you need new wiring, just go with AudioTechnix. Great quality and super cheap.

And yes, Image Dynamics should be noticeably better than MTX. MTX isn't what they used to be so you should def look elsewhere.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.